Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stuffed Ravioli??

It was another good day...thankfully; otherwise I'd be snapping soon. If I can make it through the week, we just might be headed in the right direction.

First thing this morning I started in on the Snapshots Quilt top. I got the border added before I had to go to work. It went on just as easily as if I sewed it on before I quilted the top. I don't expect any problems while adding the backing strip or the batting. I now just need the time to get them done.

After work I came home and grabbed a few things before going over to my Mom's. She just couldn't get settled in on a project so I just started sewing away. I made the two pillow cases that go with the quilt and then we went out for dinner. My mom's favorite place for pizza is DiMarini's so that's where we headed. It was packed but thankfully the bulk of the people waiting were large parties so we snuck right on in and got a table.

When we got back, I started in on the pillow shams. I cut the tops out from the larger piece that I had quilted and they just looked HUGE to us. Somehow I managed to mis-cut the backings but I think that ended up being a good thing. Before I go ahead and make the shams for my bed quilt, I think I'll run to a department store, open a package of shams and measure one. Once I got going, they went together quite quickly. Why I didn't think to make shams earlier on for some of my other bed quilts I'll never know. I warn you though, for my first time out, the pillow shams look a bit like stuffed ravioli.

Shell's pillow shams

I'm not sure now if I made them too small or if Mom's pillow was just too big. I have a feeling that if I'd just get some cheapie pillows they would look less like ravioli. It will be neat to see how they look once they're on top of the quilt. I used craft fleece because I wanted the sham to have body, now I wonder if I gave it too much body.

Here's the set:

Pillow Shams & Pillow Cases for Shell

But, I didn't get home until about 11PM. I was on a roll and really wanted to get the shams done so I just kept sewing away. I think they turned out rather nice though.

8 comments:

Moneik said...

The shams and the pillowcases look awesome! I'm sure they will be used and loved and will match the quilt so well.

Michelle said...

Oh, Jen, they look wonderful! Good job! I love them! I'll have to try to make one!

Connie said...

The shams are gorgeous!! That is my May project from the Prolific Quilters UFO database (to match one of my quilts). Seeing yours is downright inspiring!

jillquilts said...

Looks great! And yes, a bit like stuff ravioli!

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I think it only looks like stuffed ravioli because of the color. They look awesome in person.

Colleen said...

They look so nice. I love that print. I never thought of doing those for my bed, either. Now I may have to start.

Gina said...

I like my pillows stuffed so I think they look great.

love and hugs xxx

quiltin cntrygrl said...

The shams look great!!

HEather