Saturday, June 21, 2008

2003 - Abby's Adoption

Mike's Brother and sister in law adopted a baby girl in 2003 from China. Being the over excited expectant aunt, I made TWO quilts.

The first one matches my little cousin Alli's.


Abby's Baby Quilt



The second is a trip around the world....


Abby's Trip Around the World Baby Quilt


Noooooooooo, really it is...can you tell there's a story here? Abby's nursery was done in red and white and black (Panda Bears) since red is a strong color to the Chinese. There's also a Chinese Proverb that says:

Chinese wisdom tells us that certain peopleare destined to come together in this
lifetime. When people are so destined, nothing - - not geography, not age, not
circumstance - - will change that destiny. These people are thought to be
connected by A Red Thread.


So first of all, it's pieced with red thread. Second of all...I really didn't intend for it to look like a flipping four patch so you can imagine my look of horror when it finally dawned on me. I even sewed the strip sets together as you would for a trip around the world....lots of intense thinking...T-O-H-A-V-E-I-T-L-O-O-K-L-I-K-E-A-F-L-I-P-P-I-N-N-I-N-E-P-A-T-C-H. Can you tell how thrilled I was? The "Trip around the World" pattern was to represent her actual trip here, to her family. Nine Patch, Nine Patch, NINE PATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I quilted it through the white squares so it would give it the AROUND appeal. Yeah no, looks like a NINE PATCH.

Sigh.

5 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

No matter what you call it....nine patch, trip around the world...it's beautiful and you did a wonderful job. It is funny though.... How goes the move? Are you all in and living out of boxes? I've still got boxes in my basement from six years ago.....not unpacked yet... Should I just throw them out and not look in them?
Regina

Regina said...

I like it - and love the red thread story...and the Nine-Patch story, too!!!

Carol VR said...

GO, NINE PATCH!!! It looks fantastic none the less.

jillquilts said...

Love your nine patch, er, I mean Trip Around the World!! he he he Really it's cool though!

Moneik said...

I think it looks cool, just takes a minute to find the trip... Kind of interesting to see lots of different trips in it.