Thursday, June 26, 2008

Well, I believe it's time

That I get my butt back in gear and start posting regular blog posts again. So much has happened and I didn't know where to start so that took me longer to say enough is enough and get going.

Tuesday the 17th, Mike, my cousin April and I went to the Brewer game. It wasn't a very exciting game so I spent time pointing out all the hideously ugly guys I saw and saying, "Hey Ape, how about that one?" Other things like, "See the guy over there with the big beer belly and no t-shirt? NOW there's a hottie for you." And then I'd giggle. Her, not so much. Eye rolls...can you believe it?? In defense here, had I seen a hot guy in her age group I would have pointed him out...there just happened to be NONE!

Then last Friday Mike got some really awesome Brewer tickets from a vendor. By awesome I mean we were sitting directly behind the on deck circle. Like 10 feet from the ON DECK CIRCLE!! FIVE SEATS down from the owner of the team and his special flat screen monitor. SEVEN SEATS down from the DUG OUT. FIRST ROW BABY!! Close enough that you could see the muscles and VEINS in Gabe Kapler's forearms. Holy Carp!! That man is ripped! I never knew that! We took a good number of digital shots that I still haven't gotten uploaded to the computer. I also thought this would be a good chance to pull out my 35mm SLR camera. Yeah...I snapped through 4 rolls; one of 100ASA, one of 200ASA, one of 800ASA and then a 400ASA Black and White.. It's funny...I've been using a digital point and shoot for only about a year and I pick up my 35mm SLR, I take a shot and I immediately look at the back, like I'm going to get to see a preview or something. DUH. I made the horrible mistake of shooting almost one full roll before I realized that the date stamp was being burned in to each dang picture. I've NEVER made that mistake before. The date stamp is one of those things that irks the living heck out of me. I know why it's there...but to me it just ruins a picture. I was shooting manually cause that's my 'thing' and it had been so long since I used my camera that I couldn't at first figure out how to change the aperture, only the time. I bet I made it through the first roll before I remembered the tiny little button I had to push. I'm sure we were on camera quite a bit...of course you'd only be seeing Mike's face and a giant zoom lens in front of my own! I haven't gotten my pictures developed yet. I'm dying to. But, as long as they are in the can I can imagine them looking fabulous. Once I see them printed that's a whole different ball game. When you're shooting like that you can really only expect to get one good shot out of every roll. So I don't develop because I'm fearful of what they're going to turn out looking like. I still have film in the fridge from a friends wedding years back. It was the first time I tried pushing the speed. I used 800ASA and pushed it to 1600ASA. I'm so very afraid to see how that worked that it's still in the fridge.

Taking my 35mm SLR to the game really reminded me how much I LOVE shooting. Of course it would be more economical in this day and age to get a digital SLR. I was toying with selling my SLR on eBay and buying a digital with the proceeds but man...I just don't want to part with it so I guess things will just stay the way they are for now! I do think that I'm going to list some of the filters that I bought and never got around to using in all these years...it's time.

Saturday was one of those days where nothing I touched went right. But things were looking up later in the day and I did go to Chelsy's graduation party with Jen and Julie and I got to hang out with my cousin April while I was there.

Mike and I went to another Brewer Game. When we got home we spent a few hours unpacking the kitchen. Then we decided we'd order a pizza for delivery. We always go pick our stuff up, why we thought delivery would be a good idea I don't know. He called it in at 7:12 and was told 40 minutes. They took our address even. By 8:10 we were STILL waiting. Mike gave them another 10 minutes before calling and asking where our Pizza was. Oh it was sitting on the shelf waiting for us to come pick it up. WHAT? So Mike said, make me a fresh one and I'll come for it. You wouldn't have asked for my address had it not really been for delivery. In the end, we had Qdoba!

The fabulous news of the weekend is that we finally removed all the blankets and curtains from the stairs and Holly is now able to run up and down and not freak out with the best of them! Yeah!!!

Monday, we unpacked another box or two.

Tuesday on a whim I decided to stop at Hancock's to see what they had in the lines of fabric for my living room curtains. I just wanted something for a bit of privacy, nothing too formal and it's a giant window. Now, our Hancock's...well you never go in there unless you're willing to lose an hour of your life even if you're just trying to get in and out with a 'quick' spool of thread. That place has been a pit for the last 10 years. I walked in and my jaw dropped. My immediate thought was that aliens had invaded. The entire store has not only been re-arranged, it appears to have been completely gutted, re-done and is totally organized and dare I say; beautiful? It's actually a store I'd be more willing to shop in now. At this moment in time, it's even more organized and pretty than Jo-Ann's. Keep in mind, I'm comparing big box stores here, not quilt shops. They had a 1/2 off sale on a lot of their decor fabrics so I bought off white sheer type fabric that has a little swirl and flower. I bought enough to make four panels. A whopping $6 a yard. If this goes well, I'd like to buy something similar for the bedroom. Again, just for privacy. The sewing studios I will probably just do valances.

After dinner I worked on Studio East with my Mom and I spent some time in the basement looking for boxes that might have quilting stuff in them. Funny...I ran across my iron bag in a box that had other odd things in it. I opened the bag expecting to find my iron in the bag where I had last put it. And funny...it had been packed in a Rubbermaid tub and was now in a cardboard box. Imagine my surprise when I opened my iron bag to find the Mary Ellen's best press but no iron. No, the bag was filled with miscellaneous JUNK and a can of static guard without a cap. I didn't even know we owned Static Guard. The minute I opened the bag, I got sprayed in the face and mouth. Still no idea where my iron is. Mike was a little too quick to say he'd buy me a new one so I suspect foul play. I may call foul myself and take a golf club hostage. Now...if only I could figure out which club is used most often. The putter would be too obvious of a choice. It's really not even about the newness of the iron or the cost of a replacement that irks me. It's the idea that it was a gift from my Mom for my 30th Birthday (Hey, it's an iron for quilting...it's not an appliance!) and it's vanished off the face of the earth...out of it's protective bag that I made for it. Something just smells fishy. Sniff Sniff...

I've done a scant bit of sewing. I sewed a button on a pair of capri's. I've been working on a coiled rug for the 1/2 bath. I'm only about 75 feet into it and I ran out of THE PERFECT THREAD COLOR. I just got a cone of it on order so maybe I can continue that project next week. While I was at it, I also picked up a fall colored cone of thread so I can continue with my 'coiled bushel basket' as my mom has named it.

Last night Jen (no, I'm not talking about myself in the third person...but she IS my Wisconsin Evil Quilting Twin where Jill is my Ohio Evil Quilting Twin) and I went out to a new resturant for dessert. Well, first we had salads because it made us feel better about dessert! I had a chopped salad with blue cheese and blue cheese dressing. OMG it was so good and that's saying a lot because I'm NOT at all a salad person. Then I had a some lemon bar brulee thingie...omg...yummy and zingie. Zingie...is that even a word? Today it is...I nominate it. Anyway it was fabulous. This place is called Claim Jumper. They have this Eclaire that I think 6 people would have to split...it's huge. It's gotta go about 7 inches high, 12 inches long and about 6-7 inches wide....for $8.95. Now if you look at how many people it would take to consume said dessert, that's a great price! I think we pay $2-$3 here in the bakeries for a decent eclaire and those are just standard sized ones.

Well, you've made it this far into my post, how about a little further? I now have 2 quilt studio's. One holds the Gracie frame, the other is where I'll do my regular sewing, have a tv, ironing board (speaking of ironing board...I haven't seen that anywhere either), cutting table, extra table for sewing friends, etc. My rooms need names. Got any suggestions? I've been tossing around things such as: Cre8tive Studio West, Cre8tive Studio East, Cre8tive Quilting East & West, etc. So throw your ideas out there and then I'll put it up for a vote.

7 comments:

Moneik said...

Wow! You've summed it up well. I've been working on a post about the past two weeks, so I need to get it finished up. I understand the whole iron thing... my MIL got me one two years ago for Christmas... very rarely does it touch clothes. It's my quilting iron! Welcome back to the sane world... I think it is anyway. Glad to hear things are settling down!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I really like the Studio East and West thing. You've had a lot on your plate. I understand that the three wood is an important club. I'd go for that one or the nine iron. Just my thoughts....
Are you ready to win the competition yet? I wish I was there to help you get all set up....
Regina

vtquilter said...

Wow, you sure have been busy but a nice job summing it all up. I like the East and West studio names....
Maybe the 'chip' club....the one for chip shots...not sure of the real name.
Good luck next month with the quilting challenge!

Trish said...

I'd take the pitching wedge (PW) hostage..... it's the one used for the chip shots...
How about 'Quilter's Paradise' for the room with the frame and 'Jen's Den' for the sewing room?
I am SOOO jealous, I still do all my sewing in the kitchen and my quilting machine is stuck in my dining room!

kt said...

I will probably do multiple comments here... but I had to say - isn't gabe kapler the hottest thing? you guys stole him from us - boo! we new englanders all fell in love with gabe. :)

Carla said...

I know what you mean about Hancock's. We have 2 o and one of them has been remodeled. There's even a Bernina sales floor in the middle of the store although I heard that the girl working in there doesn't know much about what she's doing. I don't own a Bernina so I don't care. It is nice to have a better Hancock's since we don't have a JoAnn's.

I like the East and West thing.

Debi said...

Wow, you have been busy. Our Hancocks is really ugly and I hate to go there...but our Joann's is not any better.