Wednesday, July 16, 2008

2006 - Come see what's Brewin'

This quilt was so Painful for Mike. I mean I actually made him go to Joann's and be more than a holder of something or line. I MADE HIM pick out the fabric. I wanted to make sure we had the colors right. I didn't even make him look at the calico wall...just the area with the Kona Cottons. I found a good sized Brewer Retro Logo online and then I scanned and re-sized it to become a size I wanted for the quilt. Then I made templates so it would be easy to trace it all out onto the Heat and Bond. I managed to trace it all in the wrong direction...and I didn't notice this UNTIL I had the fabric ironed on and a good bit of it cut out. DUH!! Of course I was working on this the day before Easter and really didn't want to wait two days to get more fabric and heat and bond so I made a mad dash at 8:50PM for Joann's. I got there at 5 to and the store was already locked up. I was soooo mad. I did find heat and bond at Wal-mart but they didn't have the fabric. I had enough left to get started so I had at it. My applique on the curves improved over time. I decided to do the little nine patch sashing because I wanted the quilt to be long enough for Mike. I'm really happy with how this one turned out.

Retro Brewers Applique Quilt

Then, after hitting the pro shop a few times and realizing that logo sweatshirts were like $80, I decided to applique my own logo on!!

Brewers Retro Logo Applique Sweatshirt



8 comments:

jillquilts said...

Very cool! It looks awesome!

Moneik said...

Way cool! It's very rare that I actually make Paul help me find the right fabric, but he did pick out the fish fabric, so there's hope.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I'd love to do a dirtbike applique quilt, but I'm just not skilled enough yet. I'll just keep watching you and learning. Great job!
Regina

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Oh...I forgot...how long are you going to let Jill stay in the lead?
Go, Jen!
Regina

Roslyn Atwood said...

Great job on the Brewer's logo quilt! And I love Maddy's very sweet & feminine.
Roslyn

Luv to quilt said...

Great Job on thr Brewer's quilt .It is very sharp

kt said...

I loved working on my red sox one, too. didn't utilize the 'B' in applique form, though I did print it out on fabric and cut the squares out. worked really well! I love your idea for the sweatshirt though. very cool. I may have to borrow that!

were you worried about copyright stuff? I know that it was a personal quilt so it shouldn't matter... but MLB pulled all their fabric lines a few years ago, so there's nothing to use as a base fabric (to copy from). I was a bit worried with the red sox quilt (especially when it was on TV briefly in the stands!)... but I guess if you don't make money on it or mass produce it, they shouldn't care, right?

Sharon said...

I really like your quilt, and I'm glad to see there are more bicycling quilters out there! I love both also!

This is the first time I've been to your blog. I found it when I googled "Hemingworth PolySelect". I love this thread too.