Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Challenge Day 2

I was soooo happy to see that I was in the lead right out of the gates. Now...lets hope I can continue that! I was able to get 15 minutes in during my lunch break. I've decided that's when I'll work on my wrapping for the coiled bowl and rug. We also have a piece of remnant carpeting in our kitchen that Holly has fallen in love with. It's gotta go. It can't stay there forever. So I think what I've decided is once these coiled projects are done I'm going to go through my scraps cutting them up. I'm going to use colors that are similar to the Fresh Squeezed wallhanging. Of course, I may regret this because I"ll need something different for winter!

After work tonight I hit my sewing room. I managed to cut, sew, assemble and border a baby Yellow Brick Road Quilt. The binding will be yellow. I think I should have thrown the yellow into the quilt and saved one of the others for the binding. Oh well, what's done is done. Perhaps I can quilt it with Yellow thread or something. This baby quilt will go to Todd & Robin's youngest. I looked at my baby quilt list. I currently need 12 baby quilts. I still had a log cabin one in my stash and now this Yellow Brick Road so I'm down to needing 10. Maybe I'll do YBR for a few more since it works up so quickly. I also would like to do a Big Kid Quilt for Todd & Robin's oldest. I'm considering a Red, White & Blue Yellow Brick Road since his birthday is on July 4th.



SN851533




SN851534




Moneik tried to distract me around 11pm by instant messaging with me. What she didn't know is that my laptop was right on my sewing table so I could stop sewing just long enough to respond to her. Around 11:30 I realized I needed to wash my capri's for work the next day so I ended up staying up until 1. During the wash cycle I got quite a bit of lime green rug fabric wrapped.

I thought I'd share a few things that I'm loving about our new digs.

  • I love that my key ring is lighter. I currently have my car key, house key, mom's house key, work keyfob. I do have a key ring that disconnects with my discount card thingies and Mike's truck key. I have gotten to remove a mail box key, a garage door emergency key, a weight room/pool key and the 2 keys to my Grandma's old apartment.
  • I love that we have a mailbox on the outside of our door.
  • I love that the only time I hear neighbors is when my neighbors Granddaughter is over and is getting a bath. Even then you only hear her while in our bathroom.
  • I love that Holly seems happy.
  • I'm loving not being completely unpacked. I've found that there's a lot that I don't need so there will be even more weeding out of stuff.
  • I love being able to remember I need an item of clothing at some crazy late hour and being able to wash at any time I want AND have it done rather quickly.
  • I love my central air. Even though it's nice enough right now to have the windows open we have the CA on so that Holly doesn't hear the firecrackers.
  • I love that we have a free standing water cooler.
  • I still can't get over the size of our closets. I know we're not organized to the best of their potential but it's a process.
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE my quilt studios. I haven't had much of a chance to hang out in Studio East yet but this weekend that will change. It's the perfect shape for my frame and it's also a great space to line the walls with bookshelves and media shelves.
  • I love that our walls are currently blank. I know we'll hang things eventually but right now...I like the blank canvas!!

I picked up the sashing and corner stone fabric for April's t-shirt quilt tonight. April, if you're reading this and want to come and see how it's done, let me know! You're welcome over any time!!! I also got my hands on some S'more fabric. I just bought a backing piece. I don't know what I want to make yet. Something probably around Twin Size because to me that's a good lap size. If anyone has a good idea for a pattern to use, let me know! I'd like to incorporate as many fabrics as possible from the line. Jelly Roll, charm pack, layer cake or yardage. I can pick up any of those.

Total for the day 4 hours, 15 minutes. Overall total 9.25 hours

6 comments:

Kristie said...

You are certainly off to a good start! Sounds like you have lots of ideas and plans! Time flys when you are sewing, I know last night I worked on that one block for 2 hours!! I didn't even realize it had been that long. It had 65 pieces in it, that is why it took me so long, but it was fun!
Kristie

kt said...

your YBR looks great. love the colors... I need to do a frog quilt for a friend of mine who just had her son a little over a month ago. I did love making the YBR I did for my cousin... hmm... we'll see. I'm totally not picking sides for the challenge (esp since you have already taken a commanding lead, lol)... but good luck! the challenge is inspiration for us all to be working hard!! :)

Moneik said...

I love the YBR pattern and your quilt looks great! Now just slow down or there's no way we'll catch up to you.

Michelle said...

Your quilt looks great, and I'm glad you are loving your new place.

For the pattern you are pondering, why not do a disappearing 9 patch? Those are quick and I love the looks of them.

Good job on your 'race'!
Michelle

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I'm so happy that you love your new "digs". Don't you miss the lunatic neighbors you had before? What a relief it must be for you now. And...you are off to a wonderful start! Don't let 'em catch ya!
Regina

Suzan said...

I love the YBR! The colors are so cheery. I love baby quilts that don't look like baby quilts! Glad to hear how happy you are in the new place. I am hoping I will be that happy when/if I finally move!