Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tuesday was Tremdously Quilty

I hit the ground running as soon as I stepped out of the car. I ran right up to my bedroom to change clothes and I sat down for a EQ6 session. I'm trying to design a shade/cascade type quilt for our living room. I know what I want, I know how to make the blocks; I just need to figure out how I'm setting them so that it looks 3-D. I also need to make it wider but that's not so easy! I'm definitely building my own pattern here. Before I knew it Mike had dinner ready and Mom was walking in the front door. 5 minutes and two slices of pizza later I was back in the sewing room!


I put the Circle Stitcher on my machine. It works very easy but for the size of the circles I wanted to do; I'd have a lot of open space in the centers. I resolve to use it again and again and again though. Wouldn't it be awesome for raw edge applique? Lots of circles on a baby quilt? That would be some serious cuteness!! So I ripped what I had and decided I was done with it. It's not my favorite piece; but I think that's because I did so much ripping on it. Not sure if it will immediately hang in my sewing room or if I'll hang it at work for a while. The binding is what I hand sewed yesterday at the Brewer Game.

SN851700


Moving right along I put the borders on April's quilt. It's now ready to be quilted. I need to pick up backing fabric but that's no biggie. I think it looks REALLY sharp and it went together more quickly than I had anticipated. If I were ever to start doing commissions, I wouldn't mind doing t-shirt quilts. They're pretty straight forward. Now, we'll see if I'm still singing this tune once I quilt it!!!

SN851702


Part of me would LOVE to use red for the binding, but the sane part of me respects April's opinion so I'll leave it black. Regardless, it will look fabulous!!


Moving right along I decided it was time to do 'something' with the Sweet Baby Jane panel that's been hanging out in my stash for going on a year. I originally purchased it to use for a baby quilt. When the time to make it up I realized what a bizzare shape it was and that it really DIDN'T look like a baby panel. I also had a charm pack. Every time I went to make a girl quilt, I'd pull it out, look at it and it would end up back in my stash. Enough is enough, it was time to act. I had 37 charms, so I added an additional few pink squares, sewed it into 4 rows, staggered them and now it's square at 44 x 44. It's an optical illusion now though because it looks kind of odd. I guess I should have used the other two rows for the top and bottom. Whatever...another baby quilt is now marked off my list and is in the 'to be quilted' pile. All I need to purchase now is binding unless I just pick a pink out of my stash and go with it. You know, I think that's what I'm going to do!

SN851704


In a last ditch effort to get more hours in I decided to trace the applique pieces for another baby quilt. This one is stars and moons from the book Quilts, Bibs, Blankies...Oh My! by Kim Schaefer. I'd like to mention that Kim is from Brookfield, WI so for you local quilters, she's a local girl too. =) Her pattern company is called, "The Little Quilt Company." I urge you all to go look, her patterns are just adorable.




I also bought this pattern and plan to make a few of the items for myself and for gifts this year. I simply LOVE Snowmen and HERS are beyond adorable.



Anyway, first I was just going to trace the stars and moons. Next thing I knew I was digging out scraps to iron the heat and bond to. Then wouldn't you know it...I cut the stars and moons out. It's going to be a fun quilt. The background will be scrappy cotton and the applique pieces are flannel. It will be nice texture.



SN851705


By the time I went to bed I was exhausted. But man, I'm really rocking the baby quilt world!

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm more excited about. Getting the most hours to win the contest, Getting to see all of my accomplishments this month written down and blogged about on the 31s; that has to be SOME list, Getting some much needed sleep or Getting my machine which; fingers crossed should be here on Thursday. But you know me and Murphy's law...we're tight...it won't be here till next week FOR SURE!!!


10 comments:

Moneik said...

The first baby quilt is so cute and the second one is going to be even cuter! I have four panels for baby quilts, but no one to make them for yet, so I'll hold off and make other things for now. Or maybe I should break them out and get them made up for practice?? Now that's a thought! I think I'm ready for sleep, but you know I really have gotten a lot accomplished this month!

Carla said...

Go Jen!

Kristie said...

You ladies are getting so much finished. I love the snowman that is posing!!! He is soooooooo cute!! I know this is still Summer but it is time to start thinking of Winter projects!
Kristie

jillquilts said...

Way to Go, Jen! YOu are rocking this challenge and will win for sure! Go you!!!

Also, I totally think that you should use black batting for the t-shirt quilt. Unless the white batting is one that you have used before and you are sure that you will not get any poke throughs. That is a lot of black to have any white poke throughs!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You ROCK! Go, Jen!
Regina

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

You GO GIRL

Rhondee said...

Hello Jen! I've only just found your blog and I love it. So you are learning EQ6....I've just loaded it...sort of. I'm sure that whatever didn't happen was my fault. Good luck with your designing and take care.

Connie said...

OMG--I'm am worn out just reading about your sewing adventures!!

kt said...

I, too, would have wanted a red binding. :)

Michelle said...

I love all your quilts, but then, I always do, but my favorite, of course, is the baby quilt. I don't think it looks odd at all. Some precious baby will be very lucky. I do think your circle quilt is awesome too. I love how you always try new things, and I agree with the red binding, but I also agree it should be what the recipients wants.
Michelle