Sunday, July 13, 2008

Woke up this mornin'

(The Soprano's theme song is playing in my head)

Anywho...when I got up this morning I worked on assembling the super secret project. I got all of the sashing and cornerstones done and the top all put together. I bought the borders, binding and backing today at work. I got 2-1/2 hours in this morning before work.

After work Mike made us these awesome steaks and potatoes. YUMMY!! I washed the backing fabric for the Super Secret Project in Retayne since it is red batik. This was my first time ever using the product and it has great directions...but I have a high efficiancy washer so I'm not sure it actually got a chance to do what it was supposed to do. I re-washed the fabric after and then TONS of die came out. Now I'm almost afraid to use the fabric.

I sewed the backings for both of Maddy's quilts. I can't believe I've had them since retreat. I feel so bad for not getting them done sooner. I suck!!!

I got her Slidshow quilt quilted. It turned out really nice. I'm hoping to get the other quilt loaded before I go to bed...but then reality will set in and I'll be lucky to get it done first tomorrow!!


SN851582



SN851583



I need to do some searching online. I need to put a hanging sleeve onto two quilts that I'm entering into the fair. They are already quilted and bound; I've never added a sleeve totally after the fact. Are there any hard and fast rules for this? Can I just use muslin? Can I sew the mon with Monofiliment thread with the machine or do I need to hand sew both the top and bottom edges of the sleeve by hand? Will that be strong enough if they have to hang at the fair? If anyone knows; throw some ideas my way because that will be my project for tomorrow night.

I got 4.5 hours in tonight for a daily total of 7. A grand total of 71.5 hours and we're not even to tha halfway point yet!!



11 comments:

Gina said...

Way to go , you beat my total. Time to work on your prize I think.

The few sleeves I've done I've hand sewn on using the same fabric as the backing.

Loveand hugs Gina xx

Michelle said...

Go Jen, Go!!!!

Carla said...

You can use muslin. I've done it before and have won ribbons at shows. I know that others do it as well. I would definitely handsew it on, though.

jillquilts said...

I have no ideas about the hanging sleeves. Maddy is gonna love that quilt! It looks great!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

That's may be my fav quilt I've seen from you. It might be because I'm a lighthouse freak! It's awesome. You're doing great for July! Have a great week!
Regina

Delighted Hands said...

Reading an entry form right now, it says that the sleeve must be 4 inches wide and hand sewn to the back with no stitches visible on the front. It must also have a label on the bottom left corner with your name for ID purposes. Nice quilt by the way!

Debi said...

Beautiful quilt Jen, the fabrics are lovely. Do you work at a quilt store?

Moneik said...

The quilting is beautiful! I would definately put the hanger on by hand and either use the same material or muslin. 4" is standard if I remember correctly.

Deb (vtquilter) said...

Great looking quilt! Hanging sleves tend to be hand sewn... I know, not what you wanted to hear.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

It turned out great looking. What no one can see in the pictures is the varigated thread you used and how great that looks.

CatQuilter said...

I'm always anxious to see what you're working on next! Good grief, do you ever find time to sleep? LOL. Your work is spectacular and I KNOW your fair entries will do well.