April came over tonight while I sewed the binding and label on her quilt. We took its picture and she immediately wrapped up in it. It was too toasty to be under a quilt but she was soooo cute!! She said she’d be sleeping with both of her quilts now so I started joking that she was going to sweat to death. She was even planning to wear it around her on her drive home and was thankful that she had AC in the car. April is definitely Quilt Worthy!!
I haven’t gotten scared off from t-shirt quilts. It was actually easier than I anticipated. There is one thing that I’ve been thinking about though, is there a better fusible interfacing? Is there such thing as “old” fusible interfacing? Does it lose its powers? I used a light weight Pellon and I had a very hard time getting it to stick to the t-shirt. I even tried letting it cool before moving it and that didn’t help. I also noticed that even with a pressing cloth, some of the t-shirt logos would melt enough to transfer to another part of the shirt. But without a hot iron, the interfacing isn’t going to stick at all. Large areas of interfacing would still come away. At that point, I figured the interfacing as long as it was somewhat sticking to the t-shirt would be ok because I only needed the shirt not to stretch through the quilt top assembly process – or so I thought. When the blocks were sewn together all of the respective interfacing was in its proper place. Now, when I went to quilt the top I had some problems in the first t-shirt where the shirt itself but not the interfacing or rest of the top was moving around as my hopping foot went over it. After that pucker I decided to feel around on each shirt as I went past it; if it moved, I kept my hand in the general area to help keep it in place. So I’d need to remedy the fusible interfacing dilemma before doing another t-shirt quilt.
After she left I was trying to decide what to work on next…I mean I have enough projects going to choke a horse!! I settled on a wall hanging that wasn’t even on my radar of things to work on or finish at this point in time. When we had our Pseudo retreat in my living room last November I picked up the same panel for everyone who came and for a few other special people. I designed a center block so that it could be set 3 X 3 with sashing, corner stones, the whole bit. In the end, I gave my mom that prototype which we still need to quilt. Last night I decided to throw a border on mine and quilt it as is because it will fill a thin blank wall by the door of Quilt Studio East. I wanted to practice with a Monofilament thread/Bottomline combo before I quilt Kristie’s Bargello so this was the perfect project for it. Miraculously, it worked at the same tension set up that I used for the last baby quilt when I used a Star Brand/Bottomline combo. I just did simple loop de loops because it really didn’t need any extra quilting. I’ll put the Bargello on the frame now before quilting anything else.
In real life, it doesn’t look this wonky! HONEST!! I hung it from the door on a pants hanger just so I could take the shot.
I tried something new for the binding of the wall hanging; fusible thread. I put it in the bobbin. Winding my bobbin was not exactly easy due to user error!! I think I should have put the spool on my big thread stand so it would have a longer way to travel before getting to the bobbin winder. It came off the spool funny, it jumped a bit and before I knew it, the thread was spinning up and onto itself sticking together as it went. I untangled it like an idiot. I should have just cut my losses!! They say you should use a zig-zag stitch but even with having my tension cranked all the way up to 9 I couldn’t get the stitch balanced. I didn’t want to mess with the bobbin tension on the case so I just left it. There was enough on the back to make it work. Since I can’t do a zig-zag stitch with my ¼ inch foot I eye-balled a ¼ inch as I went around doing the zig-zag. Afterwards I realized that there was no way…it was much too scant. I put my ¼” foot and just did a straight stitch then all the way around. In the future I’ll do the straight stitch first and then zig-zag. Other than that little glitch I’d say the fusible thread worked quite well. It was YLI brand that I used and it is meant to be put in your bobbin as it’s as thick as dental floss. In fact, the binding in my picture isn’t even sewn down in the back yet; it’s currently just ironed down. I’ll hand sew it little by little since there’s no real rush for it, it shouldn’t be too stressful on my wrist to hand sew since I won’t be gripping the quilt as tightly with my right hand. I also put a hanging sleeve on it and now I won’t even have to pin the sleeve down before sewing it because I held a piece of fusible thread in place and then quickly put the sleeve down and gave it a good press. I can hand sew without getting hung up on the needles.
My Friend Diane directed me to a blog by the name of CakeWrecks it’s where cake decorating has gone bad. Some hilarious things with quotes, awful baby shower cakes, AND a version of the Shit Cake that my mom received years ago on her birthday from my dad; her now ex-husband. Go look when you need a good laugh!