Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Four legged freaks are smarter than they seem

Man!! Mike got home from work before me to find that Holly had learned to slide open the pantry door. Helping herself to a bag of pig ears that were on a shelf in a zip lock bag a little higher than her eye level.

It was a 2 gallon zip lock bag. Mike says it was FULL of pig ears. Now, how many pig ears does one Beast eat before they become full?? Mike is figuring there were 6 left in the bag so we think she ate 2/3rds of the bag. Possibly 12 pig ears were consumed before she gave up.

We were headed to the Brewer Game and figured she'd be sick shortly so we dropped her off at my mom's to receive care that only a Grandma can give. To find out that Holly slept the entire time (food coma I'm sure!!) and never even needed to go out.

Mike and I, well we're standing by waiting for the explosions to occur.

Meanwhile, since she's smart enough to open doors I'm going to give her the credit of being smart enough to evade getting a bath. Since we moved she's sucessfully been limping because her joints are old, or licking the bottoms of her feet raw; all kinds of tricks so that we don't take her for a bath. She REEKS. It's so bad. Mike's determined she's getting a bath on Friday no matter what. In the meantime we're going to have to steam our couch to get rid of the nasty dog smell. My poor poor YBR quilt has been on the couch and daily she balls it up and lays on it. I keep saying; it's too pretty to be smelly and for that matter, so is she.

7 comments:

Suzan said...

I keep thinking that I want to get a chocolate Lab and then I read things like this and I remember every bad thing about my old Lab. Maybe I need a chihuaua!

Moneik said...

Missy does the same thing occasionally, but it's usually chocolate she finds and she's definately sick then! Missy has her own blankets though, she knows where she can lay and where she can't and the couch is one place she doesn't get to lay, but she can lay on the futon, on her blanket. Maybe make a special Holly blanket and teach her that is her spot and wash it regularly. I would say it's bath time and no getting out of it this time.

Moneik said...

Missy does the same thing occasionally, but it's usually chocolate she finds and she's definately sick then! Missy has her own blankets though, she knows where she can lay and where she can't and the couch is one place she doesn't get to lay, but she can lay on the futon, on her blanket. Maybe make a special Holly blanket and teach her that is her spot and wash it regularly. I would say it's bath time and no getting out of it this time.

Infinity Quilter said...

Poor Holly!!! How is she feeling today?!?!

Did you see the Fonz or anyone else from Happy Days?!?! I wish I could have been there!

Carol VR said...

Come on, you gotta give the old girl a break sometime.

nikkicrumpet said...

LOL The things we put up with for our beloved pets. But we wouldn't trade them for the world!

Connie said...

No doubt--dogs develop super spy skills when it comes to acquiring tasty treats! My dog Zoe once partially unwrapped (no shredding, it was sleathily undone) and opened the box (again, very cleanly done 'cause she was being sneaky) of one of those chocolate oranges. Ate about half of it. It wasn't pretty in about 6 hours.

Re: old dog joints, my two got the same way and we had GREAT results using glucosamine/chondroitin tablets. Using that stuff really brought back freedom of movement for them. It was a godsend. For raw paws, get the cream women use on their, er, ahem, forgive this, nipples when they are breastfeeding. It's completely edible and does a phenomenal job of protecting raw skin. I think one brand is Lansinoh. Very soothing.......um, for dog paws that is. Good luck with the bath!!