Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oh La La!!

This morning I got a few pieces of batting pieced onto a larger cut for a quilt that I'm quilting for Kristie. I thought I'd start quilting it before my mom came over. Oi, I'm NOT having good luck with this quilt. =( I'm getting lots of skipped stitches and thread breaks. The thread breaks are kind of odd considering I'm quilting with Monofiliment thread. That stuff usually stretches for quite a while before it breaks. It's not getting wound up in the thread telescope. I really can't tell what is going on. The only thing different from this quilt to my practice with monofiliment is that the backing is a sheet. First of all; using a sheet makes it near impossible to get a good tension on the quilt back. All the extra layers from the sheets seams really get in the way. Next time I think I'll snip a bit and rip the seams off. I just don't know what to do. I've tried a few different needle types already. It's going to take me forever to get through this quilt. I'm maybe a 1/3 of the way through it. Instead of getting mad, I keep just trying to walk away for a while but MAN, it really had my blood boiling earlier.

Once mom came over, I started working on the center part of my quilt while she appliqued hers. We have one more section of stars to do next week before the center is finished. Then we have 3 more blocks to make. I think once my center is done I'm going to start assembling the quilt. Then I'll only need to add the final row.

Without further ado, here's my pretty center:





SN851793







SN851794



Here's all the blocks that I've made so far:

Wendy BOM #1Wendy BOM #2Wendy BOM #3
Wendy BOM #4Wendy BOM #5Wendy BOM #6
Wendy BOM #7Wendy BOM #8Wendy BOM #9
Wendy BOM #10Wendy BOM #11



Did anyone else watch the closing ceremonies for the Olympics? I did and I thought it was awesome. Good job China! Now I have about 4 sessions of olympics left on the DVR that need to be watched.

Before I went to bed I put the binding on a baby quilt. BUT, Mike was already in bed so the picture will have to wait for another post. Maybe Monday's.

4 comments:

Moneik said...

Your center is beautiful! I think you'll have a great quilt when it is all done. I don't know what to suggest with the monofilament. Did you try taking it out of one of the tension disks. Sometimes it gets too much tension on it. Like maybe the last one before the needle. Good luck.

Kristie said...

I'm soooooo sorry that you are having so much trouble with my quilt! I usually always have them backed with sheets but I have never had them quilted with the monofilament thread....maybe it is the combination or where it has so many seams, there are a million seams in that baby. Again, I am soooo sorry to be so much trouble.

Julie said...

Hey Jen,

I don't know if your setup works at all the same, but needle is the number one culprit of skipped stitches for us. Someone once told me $.40 - the easiest way to improve a stitch (change the needle)

Anonymous said...

your center piece is amazing! i love the stitches you used. are they on your 6600? can't wait to see the finished quilt top.

ursula