Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Preparing For Holiday Meals is a little like...

...buying Fabric to finish a quilt.

I always seem to buy too much just like I always seem to make way too much food. Take last night for example. I needed backing and binding for a baby quilt. I got about 1/3 extra of the backing since I was putting it on the frame. I bought a 1/2 yard of another fabric for binding. Yet, in the end I realized I had just enough of the backing fabric to use for the binding. Instead of tossing this 12 inches of backing fabric in with the scraps; for it never to see the light of day again, I now have a half yard of purple left over to go in the stash. I guess I need to re-think things when I buy yardage.

I put a baby quilt on the frame tonight. It was just a simple Sweet Baby Jane panel that I had lying around and I happened to have a matching charm pack. To me it doesn't scream baby but that's ok. It's something out of my stash and into the world.

This quilt is going to a co-workers Granddaughter who was just born in June. He's been divorced for a few years now; his 16 and 21 year old sons living with him. His 16 year old's girlfriend got pregnant, her parents wern't very receptive to the idea of their daughter having a baby so the girlfriend moved in just before the baby was born. He's LOVING being a Grandpa. I normally don't make quilts for my co-workers grandkids but I decided this little girl needed something special.

I finally got brave enough to do loop de loops. I've been putting it off for almost two years now. I doodle them all the time but to me they never look good. I also have a habit of rushing the loop so I was always leary of trying them before I had the stitch regulator. I decided it was time. I think the loop de loops turned out pretty well after all. I think I'm going to loop de loop the next few baby quilts just so that I can get a lot of practice on them. Eventually I'd like to add in stars and hearts and leaves to the loop de loops but for right now...I think I'll stick to the loops!! This is the third quilt I've done on my Babylock QCP. That being said, I can't believe I went the entire first pass without checking the tension. I mean really, that was pretty stupid. Of course it was way loose so I then had to rip the whole row out. Oh well...live and learn.


SN851763




SN851766

I used a light pink Robinson Anton verigated thread on the top and a light pink bottom line on the back.


11 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Your loopy! It looks great! You should loop more! I'm trying that one next.
Regina

Michelle said...

I usually always do loops. They are less thought provoking to me, and easier. I love them. Now, if I could only go back in color in the circles,like I did on paper when I was a kid!

Your quilt is cute, and the loops look great!
Michelle

Regina said...

Looks wonderfully loopy to me...

Moneik said...

I love the cute baby quilt and your loopies look great. I'm going to have to do that next. I'm really getting anxious to get another one on the frame this weekend.

Kristie said...

Yes, I agree that little girl needs a quilt!!! I think it turned out very nice, love the loops!!!
Kristie

jillquilts said...

Your loops look great! Way to step out of the box! :)

Infinity Quilter said...

Your loops look great. Congrats on your finish.

KyQuiltlady said...

That is a beautiful quilt. It should lift that girls spirits. You did very good with the loop de loops.They are fun. Keep Loopin, Brenda

Miss Organizized said...

That is SO nice of you to make the baby a quilt!! Such a thoughtful thing to do. I'm sure -you're coworker- is super touched by it :) And I think it's so pretty!!

Jo-Ann said...

The little baby as well as the mom will love the quilt. It's beautiful and so girly.
The loops are great.

Suzan said...

I think your quilt looks great! Darling fabric!!