Friday, August 1, 2008

The Quilt Survivor Competition has come to a close...

I am happy to report that I won!

Jen – 184 hours
Moneik – 182 hours
Jill – 160 hours

I was a little surprised when I logged this morning to see Moneik had finished the competition at 182 hours. That must have been part of the original Survivor “out wit” mentality because she had told me that was shooting to hit 180 when I went to bed at 10:15 her time!! I guess I should have stayed up till 12 just to make sure my win was completely secured afterall.

Giggle, do I get to do an acceptance speech??

As much fun as I had doing this Survivor competition, I’m glad it’s over! I’m exhausted!! Thank you to my two fabulous competitors; Jill and Moneik. Without their competitive spirit I would never have been able to do so much quilting in a one month period. Thank you to my husband Mike for putting up with me during this competition, for always making dinner, for doing laundry and the 101 other things that you took over during July. Thanks to my mom too for being a great cheerleader and sewing companion. Also thanks to Holly who kept me company a lot of the time in my sewing room!!


A few stats…

* If you average things out; I sewed an average of 6 hours per day.
* If you subscribe to the idea of 8 hours per needle, I should have changed it 23 times. I’m normally really good at changing my needle more often than every 8 hours. I know I didn’t go through 23 though! There were many times that I heard popping before I changed it.
* I went through almost 2 full spools of Aurifil thread; using it for piecing and in the bobbin.
* Twice I filled 10 bobbins at a crack. I think I have 3 left over.
* Together we sewed 526 hours; an average of 17 hours per day. Maybe we should have done it as a fund raiser for St. Jude’s and asked for pledges per hour!! Jill, that might not be a bad idea for next year’s retreat.

I have quite the laundry list of quilting accomplishments this month…I honestly cannot believe all that I got done:

  1. Pink Soccer Pillow Case for April

  2. Patriotic Table Topper

  3. Lime Coiled Rug - As finished as it's going to be for now because I no longer think it's wallhanging will be hung in the half bath

  4. Froggie Yellow Brick Road Quilt

  5. Quilted my Mom's Shower Curtain

  6. Pieced, Quilted & Bound, added hanging sleeve to the Fresh Squeezed Wallhanging for my Kitchen

  7. Quilted my Moda-U Post Card Quilt, hand bound and sewed on hanging sleeves

  8. Made 5 blocks for my 2nd Friday block of the month club. Am now caught up.

  9. Made 31 blocks for my 3rd Saturday block of the month club. Am now Caught Up.

  10. Made an Apron for Chelsy's Graduation Gift

  11. Shortened my "Quilt Smores" t-shirt.

  12. Assembled the quilt top for my shower curtain.

  13. Pieced Two Backs and Quilted Two Quilt tops for Maddy.

  14. Made 4 blocks for and assembled, quilted, bound and labeled the Friendship Quilt for my Mom.

  15. Made a friendship block for Heather

  16. Cut, Assembled and Bordered my Baker's Square S'more Quilt.

  17. Cut and Assembled the Shade Cascade Quilt.

  18. Cut, Assembled and Bordered a bright whimsical flower YBR baby quilt.

  19. Traced, Fused and Cut out tons of little applique pieces for the McKenna Ryan Gingerbread Lane wallhanging.

  20. Cut, Fused, Sashed, Assembled and Bordered April's T-shirt Quilt

  21. Bound the Circle Wallhanging, sewed binding by hand

  22. Assembled a Sweet Baby Jane baby quilt

  23. Traced, Fused and Cut applique pieces for a Star & Moon Baby Quilt, Blanket stitched Moons and Stars, assembled and bordered
Thanks to everyone for their encouragement this month!!

17 comments:

TLC said...

Congratulations! That is amazing! And you work outside the home full time, don't you? I need to step it up!

Michelle said...

I'm glad you survived, and I'm glad you won. Now take a break and take care of YOU. Rest.

Moneik said...

Congrats! I knew there was no way I could beat you, but I had to finish my rug. You really have a lot of accomplishments for the month! Great job on all the projects. I love the stats!

Moneik said...

Congrats! I knew there was no way I could beat you, but I had to finish my rug. You really have a lot of accomplishments for the month! Great job on all the projects. I love the stats!

Regina said...

Grab one of those quilts and go take a long long nap! You've earned it! Great job.

jillquilts said...

Wow! That's just a crazy amount of stuff! I may have gotten more things done if the Lover's Lane hadn't been so big with so many pieces!

Hazel said...

Congratulations ,all three of you ladies deserve some applause ,that was a lot of hard work

Carla said...

All of you are amazing! It's been so much fun watching you compete. You were my pick so I'm especially proud of you. Now, go do something other than sewing!
Carla

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Did all the cheering help? Giggle!
I had a great time with it too. You rocked...just like I knew you would! Way to go Jen!
Regina

bingo~bonnie said...

WOW what an impressive list!!! How is it that I missed checking in during all of that time? I guess b/c I have almost 100 quilters blogs listed in my favorites.... nevertheless, I am glad to have visited tonight and got caught up :)

Love from Texas & Happy Weekend! ~bonnie

Gina said...

Well done Jen. As promised I'll get something made up for you and send it out. It won't be for a month or two though as I want two make up all three prizes and send them out together.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Barb said...

Congrats Jen! That's a huge list of accomplishments. I think all three of you "won" by getting so much done.

Diane said...

Congrats! Treat yourself to a sundae!

Christine said...

I feel like I should bow to you or something. Holy smokes that's a lot of sewing!

Maureen said...

Congratulations...I am always impressed by how much you sew and blog.

All I can say is Wow I don't know if I would ever be able to sew that much in one month.

Maureen

Luv to quilt said...

Woo Hoo!!!!. Congratulations .You sew so fast and make the nicest quilts .You are my Quilt Hero.

Sandi said...

amazing jen just amazing list...but just want you to know i had faith in you from the beginning :) but all of you did an incredible job just WOW