Thursday, August 7, 2008

The things you see at the fair...

I realize I'm a quilter...don't get me wrong. I'm a very prolific quilter at that but patchwork shorts...are you kidding me?? Why are these in style? Why are 5% of the people at the fair sporting this trend??


J-Crew has 7 pages including a $69.99 pair of pants...

I'll do a post in a day or two including Quilt pictures but in the mean time I'm totally kicking myself for NOT entering quilts in the fair. Kicking myself is mild; I'm angry with myself. Two winners won with quilts that I've made with the SAME pattern and fabrics. The one was a kit that I purchased at a LQS, the other while it's a nice quilt (the one I'm using for my shower curtain and I made a queen size of for my friend Shell) it's not at all one I would have thought to enter in the fair. I don't know if the computerized quilting made it worthy or what. I was shocked. Kudos to the winners but man...I have new resolve to enter next year. I text messaged my friend Chelsy who thought basically the same thing; especially for the quilts in her age group. Maybe we'll have to do a challenge and each make something for the fair.


Let's see...Mike bought a new little chopper deal for making salsa. We tossed ours when we moved because it was worn out. I on the other hand bought a steam mop to tackle the horrible linoleum in our kitchen. When we moved in I was disgusted by our kitchen floor. I was told that the tile was meant to look dirty but I wasn't buying it. I sat on the floor for about 1/2 hour one night with straight pinesol, a brush, a rag, my fingernail and a magic eraser just trying to make a dent in one little tile. It even felt dirty. I had assumed I'd be able to rent an industrial floor steamer from Home Depot but no dice. I usually keep the lights off in the kitchen so I don't have to look at the floor. THREE saturated microfiber pads later and we're making some progress. It's going to be slow going I'm sure because I have a feeling the floor hadn't been cleaned very often. I tried it out on the patio door too and I'm too short to get the right leverage but we could see it getting cleaner. Mom is now convinced that she needs to own one too! LOL


We'll probably head back to the fair tomorrow night to pick a mop up for her and have a cream puff! It's day 52 after all...tomorrow is the day of machine pick up or cancellation. Sigh.

6 comments:

Suzan said...

Regarding the shorts...they were very trendy when I was in high school about a thousand years ago. My sons both have them and I think they look good in them...but that may be just a mother's perspective! I want the steam mop...seriously want one. Wonder where else you can find them. BTW, I am dying to hear what happens with the machine!!

Moneik said...

The shorts are popular here too, not with anyone I know, but they are in the stores. Sorry to hear that basically simple quilts won when you put so much heart, effort, and challenge into yours. The steam mop looks awesome. I hadn't seen that one before. We have a shark one we love for the wood floors and tile.

Michelle said...

I am praying for the arrival of your machine. I also pray when and if you need service, you will get top honors!

KRISTIE said...

I saw those shorts when I took Andrew school shopping. He loves American Eagle but he did not like those shorts!

I thought you were going to enter your Bargello in the quilt show! I think yours is beautiful, I just loved the colors that you used. Do you think you will ever make another one someday? I think I will, but not anytime soon!
Kristie

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Not only do I love your steam mop but tonight I WILL OWN ONE. I want to steam and sanitize my whole apartment...... That thing rocks.

Carol VR said...

OMG, those pants rock!!! I would soooo wear those, but not for the price tag of $70.

I can't believe you didn't enter this year, you would have totally taken home the prize.