Wednesday, September 10, 2008

2006 - Breast Cancer Comfort Quilt

I don't think I've ever admitted outloud who this quilt was for. My dad's wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in December of 2006. When I was told about it I didn't quite know what to do or say because we wern't exactly close. If it would have been a perfect stranger, I would make a comfort quilt. How could I justify not making one for my dad's wife? So that was that, and I did.


Linda's Breast Cancer Quilt

Now in the world of all things quilty, we know about Quilt Pink. Whether we've been touched by breast cancer or not, we appreciate the Quilt Pink movement. Non-quilters...I never realized they didn't know what Quilt Pink was all about or why one would give a pink quilt. I don't think they even realized that pink was the color for the breast cancer awareness ribbon. My quilt was appreciated but not fully until I explained it's Pink-ness. I do know that it's a very used quilt; it's always out and I can tell it's already been washed quite a few times. I take that as a good sign.

3 comments:

Regina said...

Washed quilts are loved quilts.
We did a pink quilt for my mom when she was diagnosed -my sister sent us the fabrics and each of us kids stitched a block - I don't remember if that is one we had her keep or the one we donated to the chemo room - which she said was always very very cold.

Linda said...

Your pink quilt is beautiful! A wonderful way to honor someone!

Moneik said...

I love the pink quilt. I made one when my mom had breast cancer and she has it on her chair at all times.