Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That

This cold has really knocked me on my ass. I stayed home sick on Monday because I was coughing so hard and my head felt like it was going to explode. I kept going from hot to cold, hot to cold but had no fever. Ok, I don't know for sure; my mom did the back of the hand test. Tuesday night I started eating dinner, went into such a coughing spurt that I was gagging and never finished. I went to lay down upstairs and that was the end of my night. I finally figured out the right degree that my pillows needed to be at for the coughing to stop. By Wednesday night I was starting to feel better but had managed to pass this on to both Mike and my Mom. Oh yeah…Maureen has it too.


I've gotten nothing accomplished this week and I just feel like I have SOOOOO many projects started. I feel like I can't get a grip on them. We're not even talking about UFO's here just stuff that is in progress that needs to be wrapped up. I've got lots to box up and mail off too. I've got baby quilts that need to go on the frame. I've got baby quilts that need to be assembled and some that the appliqué is cut out for. I've got the phrases for Ethan's room. Most of the last three phrases are cut out but now they need to be ironed down and appliquéd. I need to quilt all 6 and bind them. I need to get my BOM blocks from the Saturday quilt done before I get more darn blocks on Saturday. I need to get the block from the Friday group done too. I think I just need to finish SOMETHING and then I could feel a lot better about the whole group of things! Being sick takes up too much time!!


I gave my co-worker the brown and pink quilt on Tuesday for her daughter. I think she really liked it. I've never had so much anxiety over choosing the right fabrics before. Some people just aren't 'home made gift' type people and I get that but I just wanted this one to go over well…and I really think it did.


Holly has been mischievous in the mornings in between the time Mike leaves for work and I leave for work. That fuzzy beast goes downstairs and causes trouble. Today she went through my quilt show bags. She ate the cardboard off of my earrings. She pulled a pay stub off of the desk and ate half. That's probably the 5th pay stub she's eaten. Thank goodness for direct deposit. A few months ago she ate a live check and I've given up on that. She ate a chap stick. So now we have some waxy stuff imbedded into the carpeting. If anyone has a trick for that I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to think of what else she got into this morning. Oh yeah, she dug up the throw rugs by the front door again. I really don't know what to do with the entry way. I'm not sure why they put carpeting all the way up to the front door. No matter what, you have to have a throw rug there and if the rugs aren't moving because they're being walked on, the dog is digging them up. I'm about ready to pull the carpeting up and put tile in place instead. Which is another thing. When they tiled the half bath they used too much glue. The glue oozed out and ended up all over the carpet outside of the bathroom. This bothers me like you wouldn't believe. It's always dirty. I can clean the dirt off of the spots but the spots but since they attract dirt, they are always dirty looking. Oh, let's not forget the poo colored glue that's on the wall what won't come off. It's about a foot off the floor. If it were higher, I could hang something over it. Being down so low, there's no solution. I can't get it OFF THE WALL and it looks like there's crap on the wall. Wow…I went off on a tangent there! Anyway, I was sooo mad at her this morning that I didn't kiss her goodbye. I ended up running home at lunch time to do so. She's going to be 9 this year. I've got to remember that she's not going to be here forever. I gave her some good hugs and kisses and then I was out the door again and heading back to work.


A group of local friends and I are contemplating starting our own Block of the Month where we get together and sew the blocks. This way it is still social but at the end of the night the block(s) are done and you don't have to worry about finishing them over the next few weeks. So far we're tossing around these Eleanor Burns quilts as ideas since most of us have the books in our libraries:



The nice thing about these quilts is it tells you the cutting instructions for the whole quilt at the beginning of the book. We can start off with a cutting night and move on from there. Now we just need to decide which quilt(s) we want to make and then set our start date.


I think I'll end up dong the Victory Quilt, Magic Vine AND Egg Money all at the same time. I've already got all the fabric for Egg Money. The victory quilt takes a surprisingly small amount of fabric and the magic vine I think I've decided to use batiks. I've done the Underground Rail Road already.


I think my kitchen got nominated for holding the get togethers because I can put 4 at the table and then still fit my other 2x4 tables. It should be fun. If anyone else thinks they may want to join in with us out in blogland, leave a comment about it so your vote can be counted. The best part about this is that everyone can make the quilt with their taste of fabric instead of the entire group having the exact same quilt and they are quilts that a few of us have already wanted to make for quite some time now but didn't want to tackle alone. We're not doing this instead of the current groups we belong to; just in addition to.


I think we'll probably be looking to start after Christmas; maybe do some group cutting before then. Four of us are currently working on a mammoth quilt that is giving us like 4 blocks one month, 16 blocks the next and stressing everyone out. It's too much like WORK to be a fun quilt! I don't even know if I'm going to finish that one into a quilt. I'm not really liking mine. Since there are so many blocks of the different kinds, I could almost break it up into a quilt or two. Or just finish it off per the directions. We'll see. I'll get a better idea of what I want to do in the next few months. I think that one is set to finish in November. Actually both of the block of the month quilts that I'm currently doing are set to be finished in November.


Did any of this make sense or was I just rambling insanely?? Giggle.

7 comments:

swooze said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. I caught a cold Tuesday and woke myself up snoring the next morning. Poor hubby. I feel better already and hope I feel 100% by the weekend

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

I'm definetly in for the Victory quilt and I have the fabric for the egg money and the magic vine so we'll see how far I get. I'm like you I can't stand my Saturday BOM it's a CAREER not just a job. I'm so far behind I doubt that I'll ever make it. Maybe I should just make one of each block and call it quits.

Shelly B. said...

I would like to participate via the blog route if possible and my vote is for the Victory Quilt. 3 siblings in the service and 2 in Iraq at once-it is the only choice for me ;).
I am home from work today with the same cold! I truly do not like colds ever but really get annoyed when it is not cold season!
Shelly

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Yep...you rambled insanely! Isn't that who you are? Giggle! Sorry you've been a sicko..uhmm...I mean sick. I think you might want to cancel some of this busy-ness you're planning...I still can't applique yet....Just kidding! Feel better!
Regina

Moneik said...

I so hope you get to feeling better! I know how it feels to have so much going on and not be able to get anything done. I finally got the speed control. So far I'm really liking it. I got 4 more paths done. I'm almost half finished. Maybe after Christmas I would do the victory quilt with you.

Carol VR said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Perhaps Holly has become the modern ATM seeing as she's digesting your bank stubs. You just now have to figure out the withdrawal thing.

jillquilts said...

Did you ever get the replacement check? Or did she send you money via paypal?

I hope that you start feeling better, too, but it sounds like you probably got some stuff done last night! :) I hope so!