Monday, September 22, 2008

She's Here!! She's Here!! Audrey's HERE!!!

I came home from work today and what before my wandering eyes should appear but a box with Audrey and her feet; so dear.


Giggle…I tried to rhyme. I mean it IS as exciting as Christmas after all!!

For a while now I’ve been contemplating getting a small machine that I can take to group sewing nights. I know part of our move to the townhouse was to eliminate stairs but we still have them inside the house since my quilt studio is on the second floor. Actually, the stairs that we have right now aren’t half bad, I can do them myself or Mike takes my machine up and down them. It’s the hoisting my machine up into Mom’s truck when she drives, bringing it out of the truck, down the stairs at Patched Works; back up the stairs at Patched Works, back up into the truck, out of the truck that becomes the problem. My back just can’t take it so I’ve been taking Jem (my little 10 year old Janome Jem 609) with me and not enjoying it at all.


After the 54 day wait earlier this summer for Bud I really didn’t think I could handle the ups and downs of another lengthy wait. I did my research; I knew what I wanted to spend and I had an idea of what I wanted, I was waiting for the Anniversary Sale figuring other machines would get ordered along with mine and it would be a much quicker transaction.


Then it happened…I met Audrey while we were at the Madison Quilt Expo. She was not a penny over the amount I wanted to spend and was the same brand that I was looking to buy, just a brand new model. I vacillated the rest of the day; should I wait and order her the following week at the anniversary sale or order her that day from another dealer within my state that said I’d have her the following week. I was feeling as if I was cheating on my sewing machine dealer but the other four ladies I was with told me to forget about it and just do it. So I did. Had my mom not been one of the cheerleaders I would have pictured her saying, "If your friends jumped off a cliff would you have followed?" Really, I’m sure they just didn’t want to listen to me b$%ch and complain for another 51 days.


I didn’t mention Audrey to anyone because I didn’t want the drama of her not arriving on time. I guess I didn’t fully believe that she was going to come. Yet, there she was on my door step…6 business days later. A mere nine days since she had been ordered. I was shocked, amazed, surprised and thrilled beyond belief!!



SN851987



I wanted to crack her open but I had things that needed to be done before I could get acquainted so I just pulled her out on the living room floor.



SN851988


SN851989




I had to abandon her; I needed to get to the Post Office and UPS. I had to take Mike along; not because the boxes were heavy but bulky. Suzan/Thursday Delivery, Kristie/Wednesday Delivery, Erin/Friday Delivery & Heather…2 boxes and who knows when because yours are coming via USPS.



When I got home I got a call from Jill asking me if I had tried her out yet. No, I was bad; I needed to get a few other things done first. I whipped through my appliqué project and then sat down in front of her. She sews soooooo nice. BUT, she’s so light…12.8 pounds that it makes the plastic folding table jump like crazy. This really, is fine because I’m not going to be using Audrey at home very often anyway. I ended up switching back to Elizabeth to work on my Halloween Quilt.



I’m making this Halloween quilt out of a Chick or Treat Layer Cake and additional yardage of the yellows and oranges. I saw something similar in a magazine and decided to make it. This is way outside of the box for me because the color ORANGE is involved. Now Orange has made it into my kitchen, my quilt studio valance and a Halloween quilt. What is happening to me? I’ve hated orange for as long as I can remember. If next week I start telling people I like Kaffe fabrics then someone needs to institutionalize me.



SN851994



I get such a kick out of the fact that the machine, foot pedal AND extension table all fit in her teeny bag.



I’ve got a confession to make. A few years ago for Christmas Mike gave me Season 1 of Dawson’s Creek. I had only ever seen random episodes and then the final season so I never sat down to watch it. Well…I’ve watched the last few nights while sewing and now I’m hooked. It’s like a train wreck that I can’t look away from! Now I need to track down Season 2. I also finished Season 1 of CSI so I’m out of stuff to watch while I sew.



Thought I’d show you the two baby quilt tops that I didn’t take pictures of over the weekend. They just need borders.



SN851995


SN851996






7 comments:

T said...

Oh, I absolutely LOVE your Halloween quilt! I'm not an orange or yellow person (either?) but that one just looks good enough to eat! (Hmmm... where's the candy corn?)

Moneik said...

Wow... You've been busy and I'm sure you're enjoying Audrey! I'm still in the looking stage, but I would have taken the jump too. Orange is way outside my comfort zone. It's looking good though.

jillquilts said...

Yea! You have Audrey! I have a TON of seasons of TV shows that watch, but Dawson's Creek is not one of them. I agree with it being a train wreck. Seriously, where are the kids that talk like this??? I have Quantum Leap, Alias, Lost, Murder She Wrote and Will & Grace. Any I should bring with me?

Suzan said...

Congrats on your new little machine - sooo cute!

Infinity Quilter said...

Congrats on your new baby!! I totally understand how you feel about orange and Kaffe fabrics! ;0) Have fun playing!!!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

She 's a cutie. So tiny and all. Just like Audrey Hepburn was! Is that gonna be her full name now?
Congrats!
Regina

bingo~bonnie said...

that 1st baby quilt looks a lot like the Happy Blocks I read about on Heartstrings group... and have been framing around I-spy squares like that for my 4yr old's "Happy Quilt" - I just need to find the time to finish it up or she's gonna out grow it before it's done!! ~bonnie