Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Spell Check

No quilting tonight but there were thoughts of quilting. I picked up another 8 oranges and yellows while I was at Patched Works. My plan was to go home and get them cut but when I got home I realized Mike wasn’t home, he was at the Brewer game so I decided to sit down and watch a few of my shows that were on the DVR. One turned into two, two turned into three and Mike was already in bed by the time I fell asleep while sitting up with my laptop on my lap.


About two weeks ago we read about a recall on my laptop but you need to send it in for service and I really don’t want to do that. There’s some kind of wiring issue between the battery an it’s connection where it gets too hot. I knew mine was hot but I never would have imagined what happened next…


I fall asleep with it in my lap while I’m sitting up. My wrist was resting next to the laptop which is where it gets hot. I had on a gold bracelet which ended up between my wrist and the laptop. While asleep from about 11:30pm to 3:45am when Mike came downstairs to wake me up I got burned. The bracelet was enough to conduct heat and I’ve got Second Degree burns on my wrist in the imprint of my bracelet. My wrist was really red and swollen. Wednesday morning it was just tender and blistered in 4 places. I say just like it’s no biggie! But it looks nasty!


You know the appliqued Phrases that I’ve been working on for Ethan’s Nursery? Well, when I got them emailed to me from my Aunt, I just did Control+C to copy them out of the email and pasted them into my cool scrap booking font program. Picked the font I want and copied and pasted that into another program to size it the way I wanted. I kept thinking the word ‘Dicipline’ looked wrong and that’s because it IS. It’s Discipline. So now I need to figure out how to fix this without having to re-do the entire thing. I THINK I can cut off the top row, cut off the ‘Di,’ piece in a piece of background, attach it all back together and then iron on a brand new ‘Dis’ to applique. By the time it’s appliqued and quilted hopefully it won’t stand out. I’m going to fix it first and then I’ll show a before and after shot. I’d like to get the size of these quilted this weekend so that I can start putting the binding and hanging sleeves on them.


Erin would like the names of who said the phrases put on them somehow. Originally I was going to hand embroider it under the phrase but then there’s the dilemma of what color to do that in so that it shows up. Then I figured I could just use the alphabet on my machine but again, what thread color? A few weeks ago Chelsy told me about someone embroidering their label information directly onto the binding and attaching that to the quilt. The more I think about that idea the more I think that this is the place it could work. I can bind the wall hangings in the same color as the letters and then embroider the names either in chocolate thread or the darker blue/green color that I’ve been using in the lower right hand corner. I think then I’ll need to hand sew the bindings down. Oh well, at least they’re small right?




5 comments:

Regina said...

OW!!!
Glad Mike woke you up!

Moneik said...

OMG! I can't believe that happened. Luckily it didn't start a fire. I've heard of that happening. Hope your spelling comes out looking okay. That's always a challenge to make sure things are spelled right.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Ok Jen, as a friend I think you better send all your jewelry to me. It'll keep you safe. I'm here for ya, Bratgirl! You know I'm kidding. I wouldn't wish a burn on anyone. Hope it heals quickly!
Regina

Diane said...

You must have been exhausted to sleep through that. Be careful with that laptop.

jillquilts said...

Well, how did the 'fix' go? Or have you tried it yet? And how's the wrist now?