Thursday, September 4, 2008

Tommy Turtle

I had a stuffed turtle that my Grandma or Mom made for me when I was a kid, I'm pretty sure his name was Tommy. I'm hoping my mom will chime in and give the the answer. I know my Imaginary Friend was named Timmy. I wonder where I pulled Timmy from. Was it because I had a cousin Tim who I thought was pretty neat?

I started Ethan's Turtle Quilt. I followed my heart and your opinions and went with the fun and whimsical Turtle quilt from the Quiltmaker Magazine. Last night I got the quilt started and did the applique.


turtle




Isn't he freaking adorable? I used that funky satin stitch again. For you Janome 6600 users it's Mode 3, Stitch 34. I used easy stitch and tear on the back and I also put a piece of warm and natural down. Once I was done appliqueing I tore off the stabilizer and cut really close to the applique to remove the excess warm and natural. I'm hoping now when I quilt the quilt, that extra layer of batting will give my little turtle some extra dimension if I echo around him a bit.



I'm really loving applique lately. Next time I'm at Frank's I need to pick up some fun colors of Hemmingworth Thread. Things that will go with baby/kid applique.



My mom quilted her quilt for Ethan last night. It was her first quilt using my Babylock Bud and the stitch regulator. I realized that it was also the first time she used the Flex Pro carriage so she had a much smoother ride while quilting. But, my frame is too tall for her. We might have to lower the legs when she quilts a larger quilt. They're easy enough to raise and lower so we might as well find a height she likes and then mark it on the legs.



I left her alone at the quilt frame twice. Well, I tried not to stand around and watch, so I put some books on my bookshelves. The moment I left the room she got adventurous. The first time she decided to quilt Ethan's name into it. That would have been fine but she mis-spelled it and we needed to rip. The second time I left she ended up doing her final pass and didn't realize she needed to un-pin the quilt top leader and re-pin the quilt top and batting down to the backing. The result was a quilt top quilted to the leader so we did a little more ripping. In the end, her quilt turned out great, it's the best one she's quilted so far; I hope she blogs about it and shows it's picture.




8 comments:

Regina said...

Love your fabrics on this! I had the magazine in my hand at JoAnn's the other day, but forgot my coupon so I have to go back and get it. Can't wait to see it all done...

Hmm - that would look cute on a sweatshirt/jacket, too... hmmm....

Moneik said...

That quilt is adorable. I can't wait to hear how the extra batting makes it look. I really want to see your moms quilt for Ethan. Sounds like the SR and Bud make a great combo for your mom.

Infinity Quilter said...

Your turtle turned out very cute. I wish I were better at applique (hand or machine). I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Debi said...

Very cute turtle, and your applique is great. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Linda said...

That is adorable!! YOu did a great job!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You did awesome on the turtle! Just wanna cuddle him!
Regina

Candace said...

Tommy is a cutie. I'm sure any child (or grownup) would love him.
I'm anxious to see the rest.

swooze said...

That turned out great! Good choice.