Thursday, September 11, 2008

You want to do WHAT?

I want to make a quilt block valance for my sewing studios.

Don't give me that look.

Stop it!

I love the Carol Doak paper pieced stars books but I never seem to find the time to devote to make an entire quilt out of them. My studios don't exactly need full on curtains or window treatments. I have blinds on the windows but it just needs a little something. Some kind of zip because it's such a large area. A valance will block out a good portion of the early evening glare. The studio on the West side of the house is 60 inches across. Five 12" paper pieced blocks will fit perfectly. I don't want them to be ripply or scrunched up…just straight across like this:


Not Scrunchy Like This:


As it stands right now, I'd like to do pinks with black OR pinks with white/cream. I'd really like the pinks to be marbles or batiks, not prints. I'll have to be on the hunt for the perfect shades of pink.

For the East studio I have a purple and orange set of Batiks from last club year. I thought they would be bright and cheery. Since orange is WAY, WAY outside the box for me, this will be a huge accomplishment.




That window is 72 inches wide so 6 blocks will be used across the top for the valance.

I’m not sure yet, which blocks will go in which room but I've narrowed it down to the following 11 blocks in the Carol Doak, 50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars: Alaska, Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota and South Carolina.

9 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Sounds like a perfect way to try out the blocks and end up with a stunning valance. I like the colors in my sewing room to fade to the background but that would be a perfect way to bring in color and not overwhelm-good choice. Are you picking those particular blocks because of their design, or because you like those states?!

Carol VR said...

That will look stunning. I assume you have one room set up for your long arm and the other for sewing.

You lucky girl. I'm sure if I had a dedicated area I may find more TIME to sew.

Linda said...

I wanted a longer valance for my window to add more color and not block the light so I put the curtain rod up higher (on the wall!) lol :D Can't wait to see your valance! Beautiful fabric!!

Moneik said...

Your fabric choices are beautiful and I think your idea to do the blocks from that book is a great idea. I love the idea of black/pink is going to look awesome.

Debi said...

Great fabrics, I can't wait to see the finished valance.

jillquilts said...

Hey, Jen,

Jill did have a speech problem when she was a little kid. Until she had speech thowapy. I made her a sandwich with sqwow cheese and it was towable. You'll hav etoa sk her about it.

Jill's Mom

AJ said...

I'm like you, I like the straight look of the first one much better. You have some wonderful fabrics picked out, can't wait to see what you come up with.

swooze said...

CAn't wait to see if done!

jillquilts said...

I think that blocks for a valance is a good idea. I can't wait to see what you do!