Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Applique

I wanted to do a little something extra special for our friends Greg and Lisa. Greg was one of two friends that helped us during our move. He even drove in an hour plus to do so; leaving his wife and newborn baby home. Considering Mike has helped 98% of our friends move multiple times over the last years it was pretty disappointing when we went to move and no one could be bothered. The bottom line is that Mike is never helping anyone move ever again.

Anyway, back to my wanting to do something extra special. I decided that for their daughters baby quilt I would go all out. I'd take the time to do an appliqued quilt. It wasn't until I started pulling fabrics that I realized the size of this quilt per the pattern. It's something like 54 x 72 and it's in a baby quilt book!! That aside; I'm really looking forward to making it. The animals are even cute without the applique.

SN852214 SN852215
SN852216 SN852218
SN852217 SN852220
SN852221


Now, the pattern told me to cut the background squares at 12-1/2". I want to advise that if you're ever doing applique like this onto a background square, even if you're using stabilizer, cut your square larger so that if for some reason it does distort slightly you can still cut the block down to the proper size instead of it being too small and needing to be stretched. I cut my background squares at 13-1/2" each.

A few of my friends have been after me to do an online Applique Class so I will be using this project to do that.

12 comments:

Moneik said...

The animals are super cute! I spent all of last night tracing 7 pages onto SAS2 and then trying to figure out which color of fabric they each went on! Paul better really appreciate his wolf!

Living on the Spit said...

Really such an adorable quilt you have going on and it is quite girly.

I am really interested in you applique class. Let me know.

Marlene...I just love visiting with you Jen!!!

RobinE said...

So very cute!! If you don't want one giant baby quilt, you could always break them down into two smaller quilts. You can never have enough quilts/blankets with a new baby! :) What book are they from?

cre8tivecrys said...

I haven't learned applique yet but it is on my list. Those animals are super cute!

Regina said...

YIPPEEEEEEE! Thanks, Jen!

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

They are so cute and they aren't even appliqued yet.

Treasa said...

Such cute animals. Looking forward to your applique tuts. I have been wanting to learn the technique. Can't wait to see your finished quilt.

swooze said...

That is adorable. I know what you mean about moving. We helped some friends and my dh and I dug in and loaded up while all the other people stood around and chatted. We wanted to get it done. We then went and got lunch while they brought the truck over. We went and unloaded the truck again while everyone else chatted and then announced we were leaving. They were surprised we werent staying for the cookout they failed to mention to us. We informed them we ate and left. We aren't very close anymore. I FEEL ya!!

Tazzie said...

Oh my goodness! This is going to be one adorable quilt - I can't wait to see your progress!
Be sure to have a wonderful weekend.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

jillquilts said...

OH, I love it already!!!

Maureen said...

Wow that is one cute quilt!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Jeanie (Buechner) Weddle said...

What book or pattern is this set of appliques from?