Monday, October 13, 2008

A Cleaning tip to AVOID

So we have this horrible lineolium floor in our kitchen. It's supposedly 2-3 years old. The people who lived there before us must not have ever cleaned it. It's supposed to have a little bit of a dirty look to it (we think) but it's wayyyy disgusting.

Straight Pinesol didn't work. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser didn't work. Regular mopping didn't dent it. We bought a floor steamer and while it helps, I could spend an hour on each 12" square tile and maybe it would be clean at the end of that hour. Of course, I would probably need to spend 24 hours a day at that for a week straight.

I got a tip to use granulated Oxy Clean on the floor with the steamer. The steam would activate the oxy...blah blah blah. Riiiiiiight. It dried with that nice powdery oxy clean film over it.

Tomorrow night we'll use hot water and pinesol to clean up the mess and call it done. I really hate having to say to everyone who walks through the door that the floor is clean...it just will never look clean. It's an extreme eyesore. I try to keep the lights off in the kitchen just so I don't have to look at it.

The bottom line...avoid steam and Oxy Clean to clean a floor....bad news...

6 comments:

jillquilts said...

Oh no! Quit making more work for yourself!! Did you add this second cleaning to your white board? *giggle*

Infinity Quilter said...

What about a huge rug? Or several rugs? Our linoleum is "textured" and it's very difficult to get the dirt out of the bumps. Just be careful with using chemicals on the floor....especially the wet Swiffer. Several dogs have died from licking up something on the floor where people have used it.

Jo-Ann said...

I have one large rug on my kitchen floor as well as a small one. Make sure you get rugs with the gripper on the bottom. I think you will be happy with the rug idea.

Floss said...

I use to have a floor that never looked clean, I would just disinfect it and call it done, as it didn't matter how hard I tried to clean it, it always looked horrible.

Candace said...

I used to strip my floor using 1 cup of fantastik and 1 cup of ammonia in a gallon of water. It didn't smell good, but with a little help from a scotchguard pad it cleaned like magic.

Carol VR said...

Hey, if the states carries it...try vim and a nail brush. It may be a bit tedious, but it will be well worth the effort.

I'd probably vim my kids if I could...LOL