Friday, November 7, 2008

Broken Ruler

I went to a Friday Night sew at PW. I only took one project with me because I knew that’s all I would get around to working on. I decided to pack light. Now, I made my ruler bag so that I wouldn’t break my rulers. I made it last year after breaking my 12-1/2” square. Had I not broken that ruler I never would have discovered the Creative Grids line of rulers. But, that was the whole reason for making the bag.




Deciding to pack light I threw my rulers into my Stitchin Chicks bag and the obvious happened:




SN852324




The sad thing is, I KNEW BETTER!! Now I’ll be buying a new ruler.




I started working on the 12, double nine patch blocks.. It seems way less of a task than it actually is. Really it’s only 41 pieces per finished block. BUT when you’re dealing with 1-1/2” strips to make these bad boys they’re just plain time consuming!! They’re not even completed and I worked on this for 4-1/2 hours. I still need to sew the rows together!




SN852325


There was a really cool technique that was used to make these 9 patch blocks. I tried searching the web to see if it was a technique that is in the public domain and couldn't find it so I can't post the details. =( It seemed really obvious once I made them.




Muah ha ha ha ha ha, I got another person hooked on Clover Fork Pins and a few more that were extremely curious. Now if I could only remember who turned me onto them at the St. Jude Retreat so that I could thank them 100 more times!!




6 comments:

Regina said...

Love the blocks - great colors! I am grooving on quilts with lots of whites in them recently.

Delighted Hands said...

I saw this blooming nine patch on The Quilt Show-click on this link and take a look (you don't have to be a member to view this)
http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php
Interesting twist to use the same blocks.....

KyQuiltlady said...

That is sad about your ruler. Those don't come cheap. Your nine patch are pretty!

Carol VR said...

That sooo sucks about the ruler but great news regarding the garage.

I so needed a garage when we went house hunting and now we NEVER park in it.

Instead it stores our pop up trailer and utility trailer.

Moneik said...

I put clear plastic tape over mine when it broke the same way. It was a 15" square, the first "quilting ruler" I bought and I still have it. It works great and I keep invisigrip on it now. Love the 9 patches and I'm sure they took a lot of time since they are so small. Congrats on the garage. I'm sure you'll enjoy that. We have one, but the 4-wheeler is in it instead of the car.

jillquilts said...

That sucks about the ruler! I believe that it was Mary Sue who showed us the pins.