Sunday, November 30, 2008

Drama Free Thanksgiving...

Really wasn't drama free afterall. =( We tried!!

Just as Mike and I were mixing the stuffing, getting ready to pull the turkey out of the fridge and get him stuffed my Mom called. Her dog Murphy collapsed and was shaking. Mike and I ran to her house we put him in my Mom's car and Mom and I ran him out to the 24 hour emergency vet in Waukesha. Thank God for my new GPS that still needs a name because we had perfect directions without worrying we were going in the wrong direction.

Murphy is Diabetic and is insulin dependant. For whatever reason his sugar was way off. He's supposed to be around 170-180. His sugar was down around 35. They immediately tested his blood and got him on a glucose IV. Since we didn't know what was going to go on with him we had to postpone our Turkey dinner for 18. The new date is still TBD. We checked the butterball website and it was ok to re-freeze our turkey. Mike decided to throw the smaller one of the two on the grill. We baked part of the stuffing and part of the mashed potatoes so that the three of us would still have something to eat for dinner but beyond that the rest will have to be frozen. I'm not even sure if it will taste good after being frozen so we'll have to be prepared to scrap the whole thing and start from scratch when the time comes. We waited around all day for news on Murphy thinking he'd get to come home but he ended up spending the night. Currently his sugar is around 450 which is much too high. We'll be going to get him after work tomorrow and then we'll see what our regular vet has to say.

Check out the georgeous color that Mike got on his first ever grilled turkey:


SN852444



It tasted even better than it looked. It was beyond fabulous!!!!!!!!!

In addition to the Murphy ER visit, Mike went to sit on our couch and a piece of wood within our recliner couch snapped. He flipped it upside down to see if he could remove it and replace it but it's not going to happen. We'll now be replacing our couch. Ok since it's 9-1/2 years old but it definitely wasn't on the list of things to do this year.

It's always something isn't it??

6 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Oh Jen! I'm so sorry Murphy is sick. I hope his regular vet can get the sugar leveled out. The turkey is beautiful, even though I'm totally sick of turkey. I'm running out of ways to desguise is as something else....giggle! Furniture shopping, hmmmmm.... sometimes I love it, other times I hate it. Maybe you'll find just what you want and love it! 9 years is good on a couch these days.

Suzan said...

Sorry your Thanksgiving was so stressful. Hopefully Murphy's blood sugar will get squared away again soon.

That turkey sure looked good!

Moneik said...

Oh no! I sure hope Murphy is okay. It sure recked havoc on your plans though. We made it through ours.

KyQuiltlady said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Murphy and hope he is feeling better soon.

Looks like Mike is a good chef. That Turkey looks delicious! I like the platter also. That's neat!

jillquilts said...

I hope that Murphy is doing better now! And that bird looked good!!

jillquilts said...

Oh, I forgot to say.... Next Year!!! Oh, crap! If it's always something at Thanksgiving with you guys, maybe me and the ninjas should stay home!