Saturday, November 29, 2008

Fusible and a dirty iron

I really don't know how it got this bad!! My iron that is. Check out the bottom of it.


SN852423



Thank God for Dritz Iron Cleaner it's back to looking like this:


SN852425



I was able to get my antlers and holly leaves fused to the Reindeer blocks. I used up scraps of this and that in the way of fusible. Now that I've managed to use them all together I can really tell the difference. I think I'll be making myself up a fusible example sheet.

I also started to applique around the pieces. I was using a blanket stitch which I made to be really small. I used an embroidery 90/14 needle and I changed it twice within these 9 blocks. The fusible must really dull your needle quick. I could tell it was time for a change when the fabric started getting pulled down into the needle hole. I was also using a 12 weight (really thick) black wool thread that I had in my stash. To the untrained eye it could almost look as if I hand stitched it...AS IF!!!


SN852426




SN852427



Looks prety good if I do say so myself!!

Can I just note that I hate my new ironing board pad. It's far too squishy. I really don't know what to do to remedy that fact.




5 comments:

Bella said...

Thanks for the info...I didn't know HOW in HECK to clean my iron ...

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I can't stand when my iron gets yucky! I clean my way too much, I think. The reindeers are wonderful! It does look handstitched. They are so cute!

Suzan said...

This is such a cute quilt! I wish I had a decent blanket stitch on one of my machines. Maybe I would do more applique work...or not...

Moneik said...

It's super cute! I absolutely love the blanket stitch on them. Different fusibles are worse than others when it comes to dulling the needle. I hate having to clean my iron too!

KyQuiltlady said...

You did very good job on the raindeers! I have that stitch on my Janome 6500 and Jem Platinum and just love it. I don't do to much hand stitching or not lately.
Good tip for cleaning iron.