Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Compliments

Thank you all so much for your compliments on Shade Cascade. I can't wait to get the binding done. The further I get the more excited I get about the quilt. It turned out so much cooler than I ever anticipated. I still haven't decided if I want to hang it above the closet in Quilt Studio West where the ceiling is vaulted or at the very top of the stairs on the second floor. At the moment I'm leaning on the top of the stairs since it will be easier to hang it at that location. Some day when I make a wall hanging specifically for the top of the stairs I can then hang Shade Cascade in the sewing room.

Hopefully I'll be done with the binding and hanging sleeves in the next day or two!!

When I mentioned that I had used 5 or 6 bobbins of Bottom Line I never realized that would be so commented on. I was making note of it because I knew the quilting was rather dense but 5-6 bobbins surprised me. I compared it to the same type of thread that I've used on other projects. The key here is the SAME thread and SAME size bobbins.

Bottom Line is a very thin thread. I believe it's labeled as 60 weight. It's also important to note that it is a 60 weight thread based on Superior Threads standards. Each thread manufacturer has their own method of grading thread weight. There is no industry standard when it comes to thread although it does sound like there is one.

Looking back at my spreadsheet I found the following:

2304 Square inches of quilt for my Shade Cascade used 5-6 bobbins of Bottomline Thread.
10,404 Square inches of quilt for my Turning Twenty again quilt used 6 bobbins.
10,230 Square inches of quilt for the Snapshots quilt also used 6 bobbins.

Now, if I wanted to compare thicker threads to Bottom Line, that would be comparing Apples to Oranges instead of Apples to Apples. Anyway, I just wanted to clear that up.

I'm off to sew binding!!

1 comment:

jillquilts said...

That cracks me up that people want to compare any other thread to Bottom LIne constantly. Bottom Line is so thin! You get a ton of thread on one bobbin and to use 6 is just amazing!

It's almost like saying - wow, I finished 4 YBR quilts in the time it took you to do the OBW or the star quilt. Hello?!?! My quilts are a bit more involved....

Great, I'm probably going to get flamed for this.... Oh well!