Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Shade Cascade is Hot off the Presses

I made this quilt top earlier this year. I really liked the concept and it was a kit. I bought the kit with the best batch of colors I could find it in which I still wasn't 100% happy with. I do like the colors; don't get me wrong, they're just not what I'd want hanging in the living room or something. Now that it's quilted though I'm not all that sure I want to hide it up in my sewing room either! It might end up at the top of the stairs.


Maureen gave me the idea to quilt it with Metallic Silver Thread. I hadn't yet tried one of the Hemmingworth spools of metallic but I had some in my stash. Like all metallic thread is was a bit wirey. I had put some sewers aide on it the first night but after all the quilting I did I should have put some more on when I started back up the second night. I bet that's where a lot of my problems the second quilting session started from. I'd like to point out that the quilt top was 48 x 48 and I used 5-6 bobbins full of bottom line. That's a HUGE amount of thread. Looking back at my spreadsheet, I've used 5 bobbins of BottomLine in one project only two times...the 102 x 102 Turning Twenty Again that's on my bed and the 93 x 111 Snap Shots quilt that I made for my friend Shell.


I didn't think regular stippling or loop de loops were going to quite cut it for this top so I decided on dwirling. Very dense dwirling. I LOVE it. I know, I know, way more pictures than needed but I wanted to really show you all the amount of texture this quilt now has.


SN852380


SN852381


The binding and hanging sleeve (and sleeve on the bottom for weight to keep it hanging straight) is what you see curling around on the edges. I only got 1 side of the binding sewn down last night while I watched TV.


SN852382


SN852383


SN852385


Here are the Teal Oriental fabrics I was talking about yesterday. I ended up using 5 of the 1/3 yard cuts that I had. I think that leaves me with 2 left. I kept my two favorite ones out of the mix. I just could never find the right thing to use them for. There were just too many of the same color to be used together but not enough yardage to use in a project. It was either buy fabric for backing or use something I had. At least I no longer have to cringe each time I look through the cabinet door at my stash and wonder, "What was I thinking??"


SN852387


I really can't wait to get the binding sewn down so I can get it hung up. I ended up liking this quilt a lot more than I ever anticipated!!


Oh, I added the link to the Flicker album in Saturday's post. Please go take a look, these quilts are just georgeous!!



19 comments:

Rhonda said...

WOW! The quilting is excellent. It really brings to the quilt a texture. Am I making sense? Great job!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Jen...that's awesome, amazing, beautiful! When are you mailing it to me? Giggle! I love it!

Trish said...

I am in AWE..... That turned out AMAZING! I love the quilting. You definately need to hang it where everyone can see it!

Kristie said...

It turned out beautiful! I just love that quilting on it! Great Job!
Kristie

Moneik said...

LOVE IT! I think the quilting really makes it sparkle. You did a great job. I used 6 bobbins for my Cafe Bistro quilt. It was 61x83 and the closest stippling I've done on a large quilt.

Sharing His Plan said...

Shade Cascade is Beautiful!!!! WOW!!!! I just love it! You did a GREAT job! So talented! :)
*hugs*
Jackie

Karen said...

Great job on the shade cascade Jen. Thanks too for the slideshow from LLL.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Wow that quilt ROCKS. I can't wait to see it hanging up. Way to go and it's nice to know that you got all your talent from your Mom.

Suzan said...

Zowie! The quilt is gorgeous. They say that quilting makes the differe ce and it really does! The dwirling with metalic thread was a great idea.

KyQuiltlady said...

Great Job! That is Beautiful! My! I most always use 8 bobbins at least, maybe more.

Freeblady said...

Speechless! That quilt is amazing!

Rhonda said...

Hi Jen, Rhonda again. I have just selected your blog as one of the coolest. I love the colors you use, the stories and fun times you have. So the "Butterfly Award" is winging its way to you. All you have to do is pop over to my blog, copy & paste the logo onto your sidebar and link back to my blog is a post. Congratulations!

Karen said...

Beautiful!

Floss said...

It looks beautiful; the quilting really adds a lot of movement and texture to the quilt, great job.

LindaS said...

You could have 15 more pictures of that quilt and I would still want to see more. Everything about it is outstanding, and the quilting in particular makes it even more impressive. Wow!

Quilter In Paradise said...

absolutely wonderful!
Beth

Kathy said...

Beautiful quilt! I've not tried the metallic thread -- maybe I will now!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

jillquilts said...

I agree - the quilt turned out very cool and the quilting is just awesome! 6 bobbins!?!?!? That is a ton of Bottom Line!!!

Kristie said...

I know I already left a comment on this post the other day but I keep coming back to look at it! :) It is beautiful!! Have you decided yet where you are going to hang it?
Kristie