Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fire Destroys New Berlin Home

Fire destroys New Berlin home

By Scott Williams of
the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Dec. 22, 2008

New Berlin - Firefighters hampered by bitter cold and a water shortage Sunday night were unable to save a family's two-story home after fire broke out.

The family of three, including an 8-year-old child, escaped unharmed after smoke-detector alarms sounded, Assistant Fire Chief Joe Dallman said.

The blaze was reported at 5:19 p.m. in the 3100 block of Hanke Drive.

Dallman said there were no fire hydrants in the area, so water supplies were transported from neighboring fire departments. Firefighters also struggled in the subzero temperatures.

"That didn't help," he said.

Crews were on the scene until about midnight.

With tax records putting the property's value at more than $200,000, Dallman said the house was a total loss.

The family is staying with friends, he said.



This family is a neighbor of my Co-Worker and this home is maybe a 1/2 mile from where we work. My Co-worker and his wife took the day off of work yesterday to take up a collection within the neighborhood to buy Christmas presents for their son and a care package for the parents. It was quite a devastating loss to the family. They were able to rescue one cat; the other perished.


The son's Christmas Gifts were in a dresser drawer that a fireman pulled out of the wreckage. They were ruined BUT the reciepts were still with them. Kohl's Department Store and Target both exchanged the gifts that came from their stores. Noticing that some were video games for a Nintendo DS, my co-worker and his wife went out and purchased one to go with the video games. It's not much but at least their son will see some bright spot during Christmas.


I'm going to make their son a quilt. I hear he's into Star Wars. I know I have a cut of fabric that I was going to use for a pillow case so I'll be using that for the basis of the quilt. I wish I could think of something non-descript that I could use to make the parents a quilt. But I have no idea on their tastes.



What absolutely kills me about this is the "no fire hydrants in the area." This kills me because Mike's company SELLS FIRE HYDRANTS to new residential areas and to municipalities. Please folks, if you're building in a sub division...check out if there are hydrants or not.




2 comments:

CatQuilter said...

God loves us quilters, Jen! Isn't it wonderful to be able to share something like what you're planning in a time of great grief? Sometimes, I think we are the ones truly blessed.
Have a wonderful Christmas!
Love,
Cathy
P.S. I hear you and Jill are cooking up something grand for January!

Joyce said...

Jen, I think I have a piece of Star Wars fabric in my stash, I would love to send it to you to help with the making of your quilt. I will check later tonight to see if it is still there.
Merry Christmas, and may you be blessed and be a blessing in the coming new year!