Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Baked Potato Bags

Here's another project that I've been meaning to get to for some time now. They seem to be all the rage at our quilt shop. Before Christmas EVERYONE was making them. I kept forgetting to bring a pattern home so I just winged it. Turns out the one at the shop isn't even top stitched at the opening so I guess I added some flair!


SN852586



I was pleasantly surprised that the baked potato bag actually produced a lovely potato. It also took me less than 10 minutes to make. I had a yard of potato fabric so I whipped up 8 of them. One word of caution; be sure to use an all cotton or all polyester batting...nothing metallic. I've heard of some people using insul-brite and starting fires.

I wrapped my two unpricked potatoes in paper toweling and after 6 minutes they just wern't quite done. It seems 10 minutes was perfect for our microwave. They were fabulous!! They were steamed and cooked all the way to their centers. I went to squeeze it open and it just exploded, it didn't just "chunk" like they normally do.

6 comments:

jillquilts said...

hmmmm... Lovely! I think I need the pattern.

Barb said...

This may be a dumb question but why is "special" about the potato bag? I understand you microwave potatoes in it but it there something special regarding fabric or batting or lining?
It definitely looks cool!

Maureen said...

Hmmm does one of those have my name on it? Okay I know I can make it myself. I love the New Year's Eve Party Hat that's in the background.

I can't wait to finally make one and cook potaotes in it! I may need to pick up some potato fabric.

Lulu said...

I'm in the dark too. Do you put the spuds into the bag and microwave them? Love the fabric print.

bingo~bonnie said...

oH! your potato bags are TOO CUTE esp. w/ the potato fabric!!! :D

I received one of these as a hostess gift when I held my annual FQ Bingo... and i LOVE mine!

cna't help but wonder if you washed your potatos and wrapped them each in a paper towel while wet then place in teh potato bag?? that is what I do.. and it works perfectly! :)

Happy Weekend & Love from Texas! ~bonnie

kt said...

must. have. pattern. :) hey... if there's one thing I CAN get to... it's eating. maybe I'll be motivated if the ultimate outcome will allow me to EAT something. :D