Friday, January 16, 2009

The Cutest Baby Quilt in the World!!!

I just finished the cutest baby quilt ever. It's leaving our house tomorrow to go to it's new home. I'm having a hard time giving this one up because it turned out so freaking cute. I think it's gotta fall into the category of one of my most favorite quilts I've ever made. The pattern is in the book pictured below by Kim Schaefer who is a designer from my area.




I had traced and fused the animals a few months back. Last week I did the nine patches and appliqued the monkey. Then I realized while at work that Mike was going to see the Father (Greg) on Saturday sooo I realllllly had to get going.



After four hours of applique the top went together really quickly. It was supposed to have an additional border of squares around the outer edge but I decided it was large enough AND I needed to buy myself a little time. I mean it was 12:30am by the time I was piecing the backing to load it onto the frame. I decided to use that fabric from the outer border to do a fun binding instead.



SN852606


SN852609


SN852610


SN852611


SN852612


SN852613


SN852614



I'm going to have to make another one. This quilt turned out sooooo cute!! I might have to hoard some of the yardage with the matching animals for the future.



I stippled right through the appliques. I thought they were going to give me a lot of problems but it was just really stiff.



I've decided I need to stop using Heat and Bond light and start using more expensive fusible options. The expense will be worth it because the finished product will be much softer. Hopefully it will loosen up after a few washings but in the mean time...wow those poor little appliques are pretty stiff.



And shortly it will be off to it's new home. Goodbye adorable quilt, have a good time in your new home! =)



20 comments:

Carol VR said...

OMG, that is definitely a prize quilt. I love the colours and the animals are soooo adorable.

craftynana said...

WOW! That is sooooo adorable! That is one lucky baby to receive such an awesome quilt!

Jo-Ann said...

That baby quilt has personality, plus, plus, plus. I can understand why you would have a problem giving it away.

Karen said...

Jen, you did an awesome job on this quilt. That is one lucky baby!

Karen said...

One more thing, give "steam a seam II" a try. It is wonderful for appliques.

Rhonda said...

What a precious little quilt. You did a great job. I can see why it will be so hard to give it up.

Regina said...

Love it - almost inspires me to have another!! LOL - NOT!!!

Cheryl said...

Just precious!

KyQuiltlady said...

That is the cutest quilt! I am sure you have spent some time on that. I am glad to hear you stippled in the applique. A lot of people don't want it but I think it is cute and washes better and looks much better on the back.

Kathy said...

Very, Very cute quilt!

jillquilts said...

Very very cute!!!

I'm impressed with how cute it turned out! Love the colors!

Amy said...

how cute!!! thanks for sharing.

Betsy said...

I've seen this pattern, and it is adorable! It turned out great!

Christine said...

Jen, that is DARLING!

Elaine Adair said...

Yeppers - it's pretty darned cute! And YOU did a great job on it.

Maureen said...

That is one adorable quilt! I understand why you want to make another one! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I bought this book after I saw it on your blog. I had seen it and thought about it for awhile. Now I really want to make a few of the quilts. This one and the stars and moon. If you don't mind me asking, if you don't use Heat and Bond, what would you use? I only have access to wal-mart where I live and would have to order on-line but am at a loss as to what else to try. Sharon

LindaS said...

It's adorable! Thank you for the close-ups of the animals. They are not camera-shy at all. : )

Jackie Davis said...

Jen,
you have to see my quilt groups version....

http://tinyurl.com/BabyAnimalQuilt


love it!

Jackie Davis said...

Jen,
wanted to update you on the post i wrote, i updated it too giving KIM SHAEFER full credit for the design... You may be more familiar with her work than I was before now. I am familiar of her work and now a HUGE fan!!!! :) Gotta love the Quilting Community - even if it is online ;)

http://tinyurl.com/ZooParadeQuiltByKimSchaefer


*hugs*
Jackie