I had traced and fused the animals a few months back. Last week I did the nine patches and appliqued the monkey. Then I realized while at work that Mike was going to see the Father (Greg) on Saturday sooo I realllllly had to get going.
After four hours of applique the top went together really quickly. It was supposed to have an additional border of squares around the outer edge but I decided it was large enough AND I needed to buy myself a little time. I mean it was 12:30am by the time I was piecing the backing to load it onto the frame. I decided to use that fabric from the outer border to do a fun binding instead.
I'm going to have to make another one. This quilt turned out sooooo cute!! I might have to hoard some of the yardage with the matching animals for the future.
I stippled right through the appliques. I thought they were going to give me a lot of problems but it was just really stiff.
I've decided I need to stop using Heat and Bond light and start using more expensive fusible options. The expense will be worth it because the finished product will be much softer. Hopefully it will loosen up after a few washings but in the mean time...wow those poor little appliques are pretty stiff.
And shortly it will be off to it's new home. Goodbye adorable quilt, have a good time in your new home! =)