Sunday, January 4, 2009

Diamond Log Cabin

For the last few days I've been working on this Diamond Log Cabin Paper piecing project. I really LOVE how it turned out. It took me about 7 hours last night to sew the diamond blocks together. It's not easy to piece with diamonds!

It's important to realize that there's 17 pieces per full diamond and 9 pieces per half diamond and this puppy measures at about 21 inches square.


SN852583



SN852584




Now I need to border it. Not sure yet what I'd like to do. The pattern has a narrow and then a wider border. The narrow is black. I have lots of color options, just not sure what would do it the most justice.

And then there's the dilemma of quilting. How does one quilt something like this??

By the way...the whole reason I got hooked on this and NEEDED to make it was because I was so in love with a similar one that Gina made a few years ago. Actually now that I look at it, a similar border could be cool on mine. I know she found it in EQ, I guess I'll have to check it out!




So Gina...thank you for the insanity, I LOVED it!!

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow Jen - it is beautiful! I have no good ideas for borders or quilting, but I am sure it will be great whatever you decide!

Carol VR said...

That is absolutely STUNNING!!!!

Great work!!!!

Moneik said...

I absolutely love it! I think a solid and then a aquamarine/purple/teal mixed batik for the border.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

Wow I only saw the individual pieces but the whole thing is awesome. I think a solid black border first and then I don't know what. Where is this going?

Sandi said...

OMG that is gorgeous and all those little pieces did not slow you down at all. No idea for borders or quilting for you I am just in awe.....beautiful.

Anonymous said...

WOW - Julie

Suzan said...

Beautiful, Jen! I love the colors. I can't wait to see it finished.

jillquilts said...

It's gorgeous! Now, do you need my address again so that you can mail it to me when you finish it? No? You got it? OK, good!!!

giggle

It's stunning!

Babs Schmidt said...

That is simply beautiful!

Bethany said...

You need a dark border to contain the design. A deep purple, green or black. Gina's borders would look fabulous or something like it.

It's truly stunning. It deserves to go to a county or state fair.

Amy said...

so gorgeous... I seen one like in a book not your grandmother quilt.. it had alot of diff patterns like it... was it easy????
HAHA...

Maureen said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see it when it is totally done!

Regina said...

catching up on reading - STUNNING!