Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sewful Saturday

Saturday I was up early, dressed and showered and hit my sewing room. Maureen came over to spend the day sewing and Jen and my Mom came over after work. I started out making place mats for my kitchen table; something I've wanted to do since last summer but never took the time to make. At Scrap Fest I found a 15 yard cut of a single border print. It was perfect for what I wanted to do. I used the border on each side of my place mats, a single blue strip on each side of my focus fabric and then the focus fabric in the middle. I threw them on the frame and got them quilted right away and then sewed on the binding. Now I'll have small items to bind during lunch for a while. I still want to make a table runner and possibly a mat for under Holly's food bowl.

S4012660

After that, I decided it was high time to finish up my paper pieced Christmas ornaments. The pictures are a tad fuzzy but I had to use Mike's old digital camera because I forgot where I put mine. Although Mom turned them for me, I still need to do a little extra poking and prodding and then iron them so that it doesn't look like their points are all cut off.

S4012653S4012654S4012655
S4012656S4012657

Here's the whole set. Aren't they just adorable??

S4012658

While I was waiting for Maureen to get her back pieced for a quilt of hers to put on the frame I decided to quick quilt this mini table topper that's been hanging out with my Christmas Fabrics for quite some time. It's supposed to have another round of stuff on it and it just didn't thrill me so it got quilted just the way it was. It's another small project that I can carry around to sew down the binding.

S4012661

My final project of the night was a wall hanging for our bedroom. Our quilt is a Turning Twenty Again in Moda Chocolat fabric. The wall hanging is from the Sew One and You're Done book. It's meant to be a baby quilt but I'm using it as a simple wall hanging. It's supposed to have an additional border on it but putting it on would have made it too large for the space I have to hang it in.

S4012664

I have a pattern for a smaller carpenter's wheels that I will make up for our pillow shams. I'd like to have the wall hanging, pillow shams and curtains finished and in place by the end of next weekend. Finishing this project is very long over due!!

All in all it was a productive day. It was also a great end to our Waun-a-quilt challenge. Jill and I ended with the same amount of points in our "Tweaked" version of the competition. She's way ahead of me in our original version.

Watch in the next couple days for the February version of Waun-a-quilt. We've refined some of the point values and hopefully made it a little easier. The bottom line is, there can't be points or bonuses for everything. Some aspects of quilting are just another task that needs to be done; not necssarily something we can put a point value on. Either way, at the end of the day, it's just meant to get everyone quilting more often and wanting to quilt!!

9 comments:

Suzan said...

Before Christmas I was working on the same star wall hanging you are doing. I really like the use of Chocolat. Mine is also from an old Moda line - Mistletoe Manor. Once again, great minds thinking alike!

Regina said...

great weekend - love the placemats!

CJ said...

Wonderful projects, I especially love the star, anything in Moda Chocolat is bound to be beautiful!

jillquilts said...

Don't you mean to get people WAUN'ing to quilt? ha ha ha

Seriously though, those ornaments are awesome! And love the wall hanging! I'm thinking that with Bubba gone this week, I am going to pull out some old kits that I bought and cut some stuff up! That and work on binding! :) Lover's Lane could be done by Sunday night!

Cindy said...

Ooh, I love these ornaments. Are these from a particular pattern or just miniatures from blocks you've done? I've love to purchase the pattern somewhere. I am definitely an "ornament" kind of person.

I love the Chocolat line of fabrics. I have two wall hangings made from this line. I only wish they'd "reintroduce" it.

Cindy said...

Ooh, I love these ornaments. Are these from a particular pattern or just miniatures from blocks you've done? I've love to purchase the pattern somewhere. I am definitely an "ornament" kind of person.

I love the Chocolat line of fabrics. I have two wall hangings made from this line. I only wish they'd "reintroduce" it.

Cindy said...

Ooh, I love these ornaments. Are these from a particular pattern or just miniatures from blocks you've done? I've love to purchase the pattern somewhere. I am definitely an "ornament" kind of person.

I love the Chocolat line of fabrics. I have two wall hangings made from this line. I only wish they'd "reintroduce" it.

Moneik said...

wow! I love everything you got done this weekend. You were so prolific! I really like the wall hanging. The other one is cool too. Sometimes you just have to finish it so it's done, even if it's not how you intended it.

Kristy James said...

You put me to shame! You are so productive. I really enjoy reading your blog.