Wednesday, January 28, 2009

To Quote my Mom...

"What the heck did I ever buy this for? I don't even know what it is!!"



SN852646



Last week at ETPWP my mom pulled a notion out of her bag and asked the ladies what the heck it was. She had no idea why she bought it but knew she had gotten it at the quilt show in September. It was another one of those, "We've gotta own one of these," suggestions from her daughter the self proclaimed gadget girl.

I tried to explain it's function but they all looked at me like I was from another planet. I hadn't actually gotten to use mine yet but now I have and thought I'd explain.

It's main function is to take a vertical spool pin and turn it into a horizontal spool pin. It was at this point that I lost my audience because I started talking about stacked wound spools and figure eight wound spools. Sometimes thread just comes off the spool easier if it's horizontal versus vertical and vice versa. I however found a second reason to flip my spool.

I had a spool of Gutterman thread that was getting down low. The way it was pulling up through the telescope it kept getting stuck on the end of itself because it was in so far. It was pulling on the bobbin thread and everything was getting scrunched up. I had to rip about a foot of loop de loops.

Enter the spool pin adapter.


SN852645



In changing my spool to horizontal I was able to continue using the thread and had no further tension problems.

4 comments:

Suzan said...

You are a WEALTH of information!! :)

Cindy said...

Hey - you can never have too many gadgets....Ask me how I know.

Carol VR said...

GO GO GADGET GIRL!!!!

Sandi said...

dang your comment came a day too late.........just pitched a spool that made me crazy should have just repositioned it (well it is gone now) but it had an issue from the start and never did use much of it