Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cre8tive Sunday

I got a lot of things accomplished today that I've been meaning to cre8te for quite a long time.

I made three block roll ups. What's a block roll up? It's a great place to roll up your finished blocks until you're going to put them into a quilt. If you belong to a block of the month group, these are the perfect transportation.

The green is Jen V's, the purple Moneik's and the pink is Jill's.


SN852709




To make them, I start out with a 15 inch long stick of 3/4" pvc pipe. I buy it by the stick at my local hardware store. I can get 4 block roll ups out of a stick of pvc and the stick costs around $3. I have Mike cut it apart for me.

I take a piece of focal fabric cut 15-1/2" x WOF and a piece of flannel 15-1/2" x WOF and pin them right sides together. At this point I insert my ribbon ties. For this I take 2 lenghts that are 30" long. I fold them in half and place them in about 4 inches from the sides. I sew a 1/4 inch seam allowance around three sides leaving the 15-1/2" side without the ribbon pinned to it, open. At this point I turn it and topstitch. I now cut about 10 inches off of the Width to bring it to around 32 inches long. I overcast stitch the open end.

Now it's time to pull out the glue gun. I cover the open ends of the PVC with fabric; putting a layer of batting between two pieces of fabric. To keep the three layers together I sew a circle free motion that is larger than the pipe diameter. I glue the ends on and then I proceed to glue the overcast edge onto the PVC pipe. The gluing is a slow process to keep everything nice and smooth but it's worth the extra time to do a nice job. Ok, slow to not burn my fingers....I don't think there's such thing as a nice job when it comes to a hot glue gun.

It's a quick easy project to make up for quiltng friends.


I had someone ask what they look like opened up, so I thought I should come back and add a picture.




I spent some time downstairs with Mike and worked on the binding for our living room art quilt. I have the binding sewn down, now I need to hand sew the hanging sleeves down. I should be able to get that done this next week. It will be nice to finally have it hanging up and not have a huge blank wall.

My next project for the evening was a stitchin chix bag for Moneik. I used the same purple as for her block roll up. I have a feeling that between now and when we go to retreat I'll be whipping up a few extra items for her!


SN852706




I really like using webbing for the handles. I know it's a lazy cop out but let me tell you, it's nice to not have handles take as long as the rest of the project. I did however jazz them up a bit and I think they turned out quite nicely. I used a pink and purple verigated thread to topstitch the bag so I used it on the handles. I put a decorative stitch right down the center.


SN852705




I have some scraps left over from the roll ups so I made Jen a little bag.


SN852710


I have a few more things to add to Jill's box. Hopefully I can get those done tomorrow night and then hit the post office all at once with both boxes.

It's going to be a long week. 5 days at my day job and 7 days at my part time. Hopefully I can still get a little sewing time in to keep myself sane!!

Hey...I just noticed; this is my 1000th post!!

5 comments:

Suzan said...

Great gifts!

Cindy said...

What a neat idea - a block roll up. Very cool. Great gift to make for fellow quilters.

I use webbing quite often when making purses/totes as well. The ease and stability of webbing makes for nice handles. And, nowadays they have it in SO many colors. I like the added touch you put on with the decorative stitches.

Leah said...

I really like your block roll ups. Do you have a picture you can post with one of them open so you can see how you glued the fabric to the the PVC? I would like to make one for myself and my brain has got the concept of every other part of it but that.

They sure look wonderful.
Thanks much for posting about them.
Leah

Moneik said...

They look so awesome. I can't wait for my box to arrive. I have hubby stalking the mail box. Okay not really, but he is supposed to check and go to the PO if we have a package slip.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Wow!! What neat goodies!! I can't wait to get my things straight and can start making goodies for people. So many ideas no time to do any of them.. Ugh... smiles