Saturday, February 7, 2009

Frame quilting and Machine Maintenance

I worked at the shop on Saturday. It was a really busy day but it went by quickly. My mom came over after work. We were going to sew and instead we went shopping. We wandered Target and Walmart. I picked up a few things for the townhouse now that I'm hell bent on getting it decorated.

Afterwards we stopped at her house to pick up a wallhanging that she wanted to quilt. We got to my house and loaded it onto the frame. I wasn't the last one to use my frame so I was pretty surprised when my machine was all messed up. There was thread wrapped around the carriage wheels. I think we lost about an hour trying to get all of the thread free. I could only swear and shake my head because I keep a dust buster right by the frame when it's being used to suck up all those little threads. Then I started to quilt and the tension was all messed up no matter what I did. We did a LOT of ripping. I got it pretty well adjusted but it's definitely time to take it in for service. In the end we were able to get her Smores wallhanging quilted and the Snowflake Table runner.

I threw the binding on the table runner and then sat down to hand sew it down. I fell asleep on the couch only covered by the table runner, none of the quilts next to me. Giggle. How I didn't freeze I'll never know!


5 comments:

Moneik said...

Where did all the little threads come from? I guess I've never had that problem. I'm more likely to have them on my rolling chair.

Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

That poor machine was so messed up I'm surprised you finally got it going again. I was furious and it wasn't even my machine. Time for a few rules changes.

Cindy said...

Holly must have helped keep you warm....LOL

Barb said...

I'm feeling your pain Jen. I quilted a quilt on the HQ16 the other day at the shop, only to take it off and see that the tension on the ENTIRE back was completely off. I'm gonna have to take it all off and start again ~ maybe on a different machine this time!

jillquilts said...

Man, ain't it great when others take advantage of your toys? That's why only a select few have been offered use of Lenny and squiggy and only 1 has actually used him.