Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Like a fish out of water...

That's how I felt the other night when I pieced something on a Bernina instead of a Janome, Babylock or Singer as I've used in the past.

Granted, I currently couldn't wind a bobbin on my Singer without checking the book if my life depended in it, but this Bernina made me feel pretty darn inadequate.

The model I was sewing on had a front loading bobbin which I found out loads completely opposite of my Babylock. There wasn't a 1/4 inch foot on it so I had to guesstimate.

We have Bernina's at the shop for people to use during classes. Part of me thinks I should use one at Friday night's open sew just to become friends with one. The other part of me thinks, stick with what you know.

I think I'll wait and decide depending on what project I decide to take.

It's never a bad thing to try and learn something new.



6 comments:

Moneik said...

Go for it! You might just like it. I used to have to push myself to use the Bernina's at the store and now I used them any time I have a chance. My mom has 2 and she loves them (and I do too). Jumping out of our comfort zone is hard, but it's so worth it.

Jennifer said...

I feel the same way when I use my mom's Vikings! I just love my Janomes.

Cindy said...

Jen, where you sewing on the new Bernina 830?

I have Berninas (not the new 830) and just love them. But, I love my old 25+ year old Pfaffs as well.

I guess I should say "just give me a machine and let me sew". LOL

Treasa said...

I have the Bernina 440 QEE and I am still learning how to use it. It has been 4 years. They are great machines though, workhorses. But I also like my plain jane 30 yr old singer too.

bingo~bonnie said...

I've not visited in a while so I'm not sure if the Bernina was yours at home or in class.. but either way - I HIGHLY reccomend foot #57! It has a little guide that you push the fabric up to and it makes the perfect 1/4" seam! :) I could not sew without mine. ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

bingo~bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.