Monday, March 9, 2009

Crappy Weather means a lot of Quilting Time

It rained all weekend long. Not a light rain, but walk outside and come in soaking wet and need to put on dry clothes type of rain. It was cold and damp.

My big accomplishment for Sunday was that I got ALL of the clothes folded and put away and anything that needed hanging is now hung in the closet. All of the dirty laundry is downstairs in the basement in piles and Mike was working his way through that. We didn't end up getting the bedroom curtains hung or the wall hanging hung but we're headed in that direction.

Mom came over late afternoon and we hung out in my quilt studio. Mom decided that she wanted to make a St. Patty's Day table runner from a Kim Schaefer pattern that she has. Before she came she dug some St. Patty's fabric out from her stash. She realized she had quite a bit of it so now we're both making a table runner. I pulled out my drawer of green scraps and low and behold I had some green shamrock fabric myself.





006



For the most part Mom did all of our cutting and tracing. My big add to the project was cutting out some of the shamrocks that she had traced and I cut up some applique stabilizer for both of us. After she left I busted out some gold metallic thread and began appliquing the shamrocks. I was just going to use gold colored embroidery thread but I decided to give the metallic a try at the last minute. I put some Sewer's Aide on the spool and changed to a 100/16 topstitch needle. I had Bottomline thread in the bobbin and dialed my tension down to three. I've satin stitched around 9 of them so far and not a single thread break so I guess that means it's working!





005



I know from the rest that I'm about to show you it's going to look like I have Quilter's ADD, but really I just have a bunch of projects that I really want to work on so I decided a few steps on each and then move onto another one.

My Mom bought a wallhanging kit a few weeks back with the Oh Cherry Oh! Moda Fabric. It's a chinese coin pattern made from a charm pack. There's a new Moda line out called Fresh and I decided that would look pretty in my kitchen and I figured the Chinese Coin pattern would work well for what I wanted to do as well. I cut up my charm pack, split them into 4 rows and sewed one of the rows together. Of course when I was cutting, I didn't pay attention to the few fabrics that are directional so they are now going in the wrong way. Sometimes I really make myself wonder!!




004

For the sashing I think I'm just going to use some white on white that is already in my stash.

I also worked on Ocean Waves. I sewed some of the HST's to their neighbors.



003



The last thing that I worked on was designing my pillow shams. The link to the original tutorial that I used when I made Shell's no longer was vaild so I had to hunt for another one. I found one on Digs Magazine. I also saved it to a word file incase the turorial ever goes away.


002

I also spent some time today loading programs onto my laptop. I'm dissapointed because my Carol Doak Foundation Factory discs don't seem to work with this laptop. It's something about 32/64 bit systems so I'm not sure that will be something that I'll be able to figure out. I might just have to leave those off and just use them on Mike's computer as needed.

It's time to hit the sack...yes it really is 2am as I write this. I'm too stressed out to fall asleep.



8 comments:

jillquilts said...

Wow! You got a lot done! After working 16 hours this weekend, I didn't have the interest to do anything! And after getting as far as I could on my taxes, I worked on binding Lover's Lane. I only have about 10 inches left to do! Then, sewing on th label and sewing in the thread ends and it can be washed! Woo hoo!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You did get a lot done! You amaze me. I accomplished next to nothing. Went to the movie with girlfriends, pampered chef party, church. Oh...and I napped a lot! Ha! I love all of it. You Rock, Jen!

Laurel said...

Jen,
Wow, I can't believe you got all those triangles done. I've been having a really hard time with HST so I ordered the Triangulations CD. It should arrive sometime this week. I hope mine look as good as yours!
Laurel

~Kim~ said...

Wow, looks like a productive weekend was had by all! Great progress!

~Kim~

Cindy said...

Did you rest at all this weekend? LOL

My goodness, you got ALOT accomplished.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well great job on the metallic thread! i used it once and had such a hard time I never attempted it again. Course that was before I kew to use a bigger needle (or metalic needle)!

Where in WI do you live? SE corner by any chance?

Cindy said...

I'm tired just reading about all you did.

momtofatdogs said...

I am so glad that there is someone else that seems to be an overacheiver! Just kidding! I get accused of that...

At anyrate. I am making an Ocean Waves Quilt too. Using Bonnie Hunters instructions.

Sam in Middle TN