Monday, March 2, 2009

Ocean Waves

I've finally started my Ocean Waves Quilt. I've wanted to do this for the last year or longer. I've had quite a bit of the supplies sitting around and waiting to start but other things kept taking priority. This is the layout that I decided to do with 2" finished HST's (Half Square Triangles):




Ocean Waves



For those who want to laugh their asses off at this endeavor, I offer you the following funny statistics:

I'm going to need 1020 HST's. To accomplish this, I need 34 sheets of triangle paper which makes 30 HST's at a crack.

Yes, I need to keep track, there's 6 different blues going into this project.


IMG00197



This picture represents a whopping 240 of them...


IMG00196


Insane much? I think we all know the answer to that...

9 comments:

Moneik said...

As crazy as I think you are, I think this will turn out really cool! Good luck getting them all in the right spots. At least you are doing the paper ones and not the individual, biased edged HST's.

Winona said...

Jen, You may be insane by the time you get it done, but this quilt will be gorgeous! Good luck.
Winona

Cindy said...

A bit of insane - yes.
A huge project - yes.
A BIG endeavor - yes.
Beautiful...BIG YES!!

Suzan said...

Zowie - that is a lot of triangles!Knowing you, it will be done in a couple of days...Girl, you wear me out!

Beth said...

Wow...you're my new hero!

Hey, would those Thangle things work for this quilt?

Regina said...

This looks ambitious - but totally doable - especially with your prolificness...(is that a word)

Now I expect this finished by retreat????? :-P

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I thought you were doing this at retreat? And...I need you to pick a project WE can do together at retreat so I can prep for it. I wanna be as prolific as you are when I grow up! I'm never gonna grow up actually! Giggle!

Trish said...

The insanity thing is now official.... but Wow, is it ever gonna be gorgeous when you're done!

starrynightquilter said...

My thought is this: If I first figured out how many pieces - It would so discourage me that I would say - beautiful pattern, and great fabric (that I already purchased most likely)but this project will not be happening today or even tomorrow - and maybe not in this lifetime....

Once I saw this book called 10 20 30 minutes to sew...and it suggested doing just what you did, calculating the total, breaking it up into small portions, and BEGIN. But for me - that total would just stop me cold....

So what do you do?