Thursday, March 12, 2009

TV Tray Ironing Board

I’ve been thinking quite a bit about turning a wooden TV tray into an ironing board for my sewing studio. Sometimes the full ironing board just isn’t needed and only gets in the way. I picked up a wooden TV tray at Wal-mart for $9.00. My plan is to use two layers of insulbrite and then a layer of the silver Teflon fabric that is used for hot pads and then staple it to the underside. I did read a blog where they used a layer of batting, 2 layers of insulbrite another layer of batting and then a cotton cover. But I’m not sure if 4 fluffy layers would make it too squishy. Maybe not? Has anyone else whipped one of these up?

I'll probably work on this next week and I'll be sure to take pictures of the process.

6 comments:

Moneik said...

I have two board ironing boards. I usually use two layers of cotton batting (warm & natural)and then a layer of thinsulate, then cover with a fun piece of 100% cotton fabric. My big one that is 2'x4' has hunky construction workers, the other is 18"x24" and has cute firefighters on it. The one I made my mom has pink breast cancer fabric on it. She has the wooden TV tray one, made the same way, two layers of batting, thinsulate, and fabric stapled to the back. She takes it to retreat/sewing days with her to have next to her work station as it folds up easily and travels well.

Kim West said...

I would be interested in this. I have been contemplating a new ironing board, but don't really need it. This might just solve my problem as I have four tv trays that are not doing anything... we rarely use more than one or two at a time.

Suzan said...

This is so bizarre! Twiddletails (Anina) just posted her tutorial of this exact same thing!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

What a great idea! How do you come up with these things? It would be so easy to transport and fold up flat and out of the way! I love it! I'll have to pick one up next time I'm out!

Tina said...

I had thought of this idea too! I ended up with a small bathroom drawer unit that had no top - Had DH put on a plywood top, and I had a portable cutting/iron surface - I think June Tailors - that I just sit on top - at right angles to my sewing cabinet, on my left.

But - I am working on getting a big board made now too. I was wondering how to layer the materials....so now I have lots of ideas. I moved in an
"entertainment" center my grandfather made over 50 years ago - I had been using as a stereo cabinet - and I am having DH make a big board for it!

~Kim~ said...

I have been using a tv tray for some time now - saves a alot of space with the big bulky ironing board. I just use the rotary cutting board/ironing combo thingy. I put a gripper on the table to hold it in place. And now all I have to do is just swivel my chair from the machine to the table, and press. Easy!