Friday, April 10, 2009

Moda Inspiration Project

On Friday I got out of work early. I was going to come right home to sew but my bra was so uncomfortable that it compelled me to go shopping for new ones. Since I was in the bra section at Kohl's I decided I should also own some new underware.

I had to text Jill.

Right there...in the department.

It was an SOS.

Our conversation went something like this:

Jen:Soooo what's up with the sizes on underware?
Jill:They're messed up.
Jen:Why can't they be sized like pants.
Jill:A man made up the sizing, I'm sure.
Jen:How do I begin to figure out what size I need? I mean, mine has stretched along with me. There's no way I could buy the same size today and have it work.
Jill:Hmm, I bought XYZ the last time.
Jen:How did you come to the conclusion on what size you needed?
Jill:I think I guessed
Jen: How'd that work out for you?
Jill: Not bad.
Jen:Ok, that's the size I'm buying.
Jen:WHY no matter what the size on the tag is there this skiny chick pictured? This is supposed to help me decide the style I want how? I mean, show me a chunky girl and I'll be able to figure out if I want high cut, briefs or bloomers?!?!
Jill:OMG, just grab some and go already!! Ooo, it's almost 3, I get to leave.
Jen:I'm in a crisis here.



So, while I'm in the store I might as well check out capri's, I mean, what if it's warm when we go to Ohio? Luckily I found two pairs that fit.

And dang...I need sunglasses too so I don't get Migraines when I drive.

$163 later and I was out of the store....with my small bag...of necessities...nothing fun.

I get home...I try on my underware. I text Jill this:

Jen:Seriously? They think that if I've gotten wider and need a higher size that magically my torso has gotten longer? Who designs this crap? I mean, now I've got to make a concious effort to make sure my underware are down below my jeans incase my shirt hikes up.
Jill:I see London, I see France... (Ok, so I made that line up, but really...this IS how most of our conversations go.)

By this point, I felt traumatized so I took a nap. Once I inspired my ass to get off the couch, it was time to work on my Inspiration Project for Moda U. Since I've been making loads of Sewing Machine Pockets, I was asked to take the fabric pack and whip one up. No problem! I like a challenge.

This is what I came up with:


picture 4



picture 7



I was supposed to send Julie the 'pattern.' Yeah....how many of you have actually tried to write up what you're doing as you do it and have it become coherent? Wow, I SUCK at writing out directions!! Luckily, Julie saved the say and wrote it up into an intelligent pattern AND gave them a far better name than "sewing machine pockets." They will now be known as Sewing Machine Aprons from this day forward!!

Once my apron was done I hit the road and met Sherry for dinner. I of course was late because time got away from me (big shocker here). We had a great time and neither one of us can wait until we leave for retreat.

And that folks, is my comical Friday in a nut]shell!!

I leave you with this...if pantyhose can have a skematic on the back with a height/weight ratio, why can't underware do the same thing??


13 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

You kill me Jen! Everytime I look at you at retreat now...I'll be thinking...."she's wearing new granny panties"! Thanks for the giggle today and many to come at retreat!

Diana Laurence said...

Jen, "underware" is one of your cutest misspellings yet. I almost think it should be officially changed to that, it is so cute.

Barb said...

Okay ~ that conversation is soooo something my best friend and I would have!
Love the new "apron." Will that pattern be available to the public any time soon?

Moneik said...

You are so funny! I've been there, done that. I dropped from a 2 sizes when I was teaching and had to buy a complete new wardrobe. Too bad noon of it fits. I'm thinking of breaking out the capri's for the weekend too. Only 8 days!

jillquilts said...

Omg! I'm so glad that you didn't put up our conversations verbatim! Embarrassing!!! Hope your granny panties fit! Giggle!!

Winona said...

Jen, I got so tickled while reading this post. I feel your pain. I had to guess the last time I bought underwear too. Luckily mine almost fit, but do come way up past my belly button. LOL I love your blog. Winona

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Jen you are so funny. You know the pictures on the package don't help me either.. lol. I actually went out and bought new chonies a couple of weeks ago and Keith laughed and called them granny panties. LOL.. I love your sewing machine apron.

Heather

Christine said...

You're right! Why don't they size them like pantyhose?

Piwacket said...

Thanks for the laugh! And you are both completely right about the underwear sizing.

Carol VR said...

What always cracks me up about underware are the signs posted in stores about them being unreturnable.

Seriously, how would you explain returning underware?!?

Carol VR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CatQuilter said...

Just feel fortunate that you're not shopping for undies with a teenaged daughter! Andrea and I did that on Sunday. She got a big chuckle over telling the clerk there was no mistaking her bright coloured little bikini things for my "grandma" whities!

Regina said...

LOL!!
And seriously -some of those styles should NOT come in sizes larger than say - what - TWO?????