Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rosie the Quilter

(Saturday)

Early on Saturday Morning I started making myself a signature quilt. I wanted to get the signatures of all of my retreat buddies so that I could have a wallhanging for my studio. I had the Rosie the Quilter fabric for over a year and decided to pull it out at the last minute to come to retreat. I had the panel measured up and decided the best way to go about it was to just decide what size blocks I wanted to make, then add a border to the panel and trim it down to whatever size I needed it to be. I think left alone it was going to be something like 21 inches. I flipped through my Carol Doak Foundation Factory programs (Which I'm still using on Mike's PC because of some conflict with Fat 32 - whatever the heck that means!) and found a block that I liked. So there I was Wednesday morning before I left printing off 24 paper piecing blocks. I did some quick yardage figures and then realized I'd need a bit more fabric. Luckily I knew Fabric Shack carried it and then I knew my problem was solved. Here's what I came up with:



SN852914



You can't see the signatures really well, but they are there. They are a lot darker in person and will show up well on the wall I'm going to hang it on. It's all ready to quilt. I have the striped fabric for the binding.

The Rosie panel has two different icons on it. This is one of them, I'm not sure what I'll do with the other. I also have the panel in the Red, White & Blue colorway. I'm going to take the opposite panel and make a signature wallhanging for Quilt Studio East. I think I'll fill that one with my local quilting friends.

Next it was time to work on some bags. I needed to get them finished so I could take my stuff home with me. I meant to make them up before we went and it just never happened. I knew I needed a nap when I fell asleep sewing the decorative stitch on the handles!! I got two of them done.


SN852908




SN852909


SN852918

I realize those two bags are really not much to look at but they are meant to just transport stuff. They can hold about 22 yards of fabric. On the way home, I had 4 of them. Two had all my sewing projects and supplies. The other two had a combination of my clothing, towels, pillows and quilt. And it's nice that they just squish in where you need them to. If you have a quilt you are transporting you don't need to worry about folding it properly to fit in a bag.

3 comments:

Moneik said...

I love your Rosie wall hanging and can't wait to get mine done as well. It was so much fun making signature blocks.

Jennifer said...

Love those bags! I think I am going to have to make a few next year.

Rhonda said...

I love your signature quilt and everyone needs large bags to hold stuff. I carry my rulers in one of mine. Take care.