Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Wrong Fabric

Would you believe I’m still not fully unpacked from retreat?  I’ve been trying to make some changes to my sewing room and just can’t get there.  I don’t want to purchase lots of things just to accomplish the task and I’m beginning to think I’m just going to have to.  Last night I ran out for special 3M picture hanging strips to use for the back of my thread holders and finally got them hung.  However…I realized that for the amount of different types of threads that I use, I’m still going to need another thread holder.  I’m going to hold off on that for now because I’m thinking that some of the spools that I have left might fit on a regular spool holder versus the cone holders that I have pictured here.  A lot of the bases are jut too wide for the regular holders.

MISC 001

Then I sat around looking at some fabric.  I’ve been trying to decide between two patterns for making Mike’s football quilt out of.  As I was counting the folds to get an idea of how much fabric I had on the ones from my stash, I decided to take a look at the color dots on the selvedge because the smaller football print just seemed to stick out like a sore thumb.  That’s when I noticed that the fabric I was intending to use for accent, border and binding is actually from Joann’s, not the quilt shop like the rest of it.  Now, if it was just going to be used in small bits, I wouldn’t worry about it so much but I know if I use it in the quantity that I was planning on, after the first washing it’s really going to stick out like a sore thumb because it’s going to wear differently than the rest.  What a disappointment!  It’s a little dotted print that looks like the surface of a football.  I guess it’s back to square one.  =(  It seems I’d be starting out now with 2 fabrics instead of 3 or 4.  That’s a big difference so I think I’ll be waiting to start this project and instead work on something I already have.

MISC 002

A few people have asked about the patterns I bought on Saturday.  They were the above Strip Twist and the below Japanese Jigsaw.

MISC 006

My daily Photography shot was another drive by my Grandma’s old house on my way home from work.  I got a very nicely framed shot.  I LOVE it.  I may have to work on antiquing this one and then throwing it in a frame.

005 (3)007 

The house and the lilacs were both shot from the street.  I’m surprised at how well the lilacs turned out from that far away.  They’re not fully in bloom yet either while all the rest in the area seemed to go into bloom between this weekend and last weekend.

8 comments:

jillquilts said...

I thought you bought the football texture fabric from my shop. If you didn't, we have some there.

Moneik said...

Good idea not to use the Joann's fabric in the quilt since it's such a large part. I have all my thread organized in my purple box. It works great with all my King Tut, Bottomline, and Masterpiece in the same box. You have so much thread!

CatQuilter said...

It's amazing, Jen, how much your grandma's house looks like the house my grandparents had!

Love the football theme idea!

Regina said...

Love that Japanese Jigsaw pattern - can't wait to see it done Jen style!!!

QuiltingB29 said...

I think I saw a football texture like fabric at a store here in KY. I'll see if I can check it out this week.

Cindy said...

The picture of Grandma Honey's house is fantastic looking.

Piwacket said...

The house and lilacs pictures are just gorgeous. You have a real gift for capturing the perfect shot.

Christine said...

I love your Grandmother's old house. I grew up in one very similar.