Saturday, May 30, 2009

Waun-a-finish UFO's and One Scrappy Summer

Omg, now that I've made my UFO list, how am I going to get it accomplished??

Granted, nothing says I need to do all of this in 3 months time but in order to really give this a shot, I need goals. I work better with goals. I need lists. Lists where I can cross things off.


Will I deviate from my lists? Probably.


Will I get everything done? No, but I'm ok with that. Ill be happy as long as I accomplish SOMETHING....and not acquire new UFO's. I'd like to finish what I do start this summer.


I'm going to put my UFO list in my Side bar and tick things off as I go. I will also break them out by the months in which I hope to accomplish them. In addition, I will add in other projects that I already know I want or need to work on. If it's time sensitive, I will put that under the "goal" month as well.


In addition to all this crazy UFO stuff, I recently became aware of just how much scrap fabric I have.


I went to cut out 9-1/2" squares for two twin sized quilt backings out of my scraps in red, white and blues. I still have tons of red, white and blue scraps that I could cut more things out of. The rest of the colored bins are just as full. I'd like this to become "One Scrappy Summer.". I'm going to track my square yardage used.


To do this, its a simple math equation in Excel. When I went to write it up for this post it I noticed that it looks positively painful but I promise you it's not!!


For example, I cut 9.5" squares.


Each square is 90.25 square inches (Multiplying 9.5 X 9.5).


I cut 132 squares. 90.25 square inches multiplied by 132 squares equals 11,913 square inches.


A yard of fabric is 36" long by 42 inches wide. This equals 1512 square inches.


If I divide 11,913 by 1512 this equals 7.88 square yards. That's almost 8 yards of fabric folks and I've barely scratched the surface. I'm going to make scrappy quilt backings or use scraps where ever I possibly can. For me, this will be a difficult challenge because I never think my scraps could possibly play well together. I don't enjoy scrap quilting either.


Anyone want to join me for my 'One Scrappy Summer' challenge?


It's going to be one productive Summer! While the rest of you fools are outside playing in your gardens that I'm highly allergic to, I will be inside where it's nice and cool and allergy free playing in my sewing room!!

-Jen

3 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I'm in for a scrappy summer! I'm on a no buy binge until October. I can only buy backings, so I imagine I'll be using up a lot of scraps. I can do it! You can too! You might find you like scraps better after this!

jillquilts said...

I am doing my best on not buying!! Although, I will need to buy a yard of fabric for placemats for my half aunt. We have the cutest fabric for her RV!

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Well I don't know that I will ante up to play but I will try to at least watch and see what you ladies finish