Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Floral Mock Bargello

When I was at the Patched Works the other night I came across this November Flower of the Month fabric by Northcott that I had never seen before. It was used for a border on their block of the month quilt.

IMG_0235

Years ago I had seen a bargello made out of graduated fabric from blue to green. I have always thought that would be a fun challenge and running across this bolt of fabric made me want to give it a shot.

First things first, I had to create a tube so that I could cut my strips. I decided to match the pattern up so that it would appear seamless. To do this I a crease in the fabric between the burgundy and green mums. I lined up the patterns and I used fabric glue to put it together.

IMG_0237

I turned the tube inside out and then sewed down my previously creased line . Before trimming the seam I turned the tube just to make sure all my points actually did match.

IMG_0238

Next up was cutting my strips so that I could begin shifting the fabric.

IMG_0240

I worked on the pattern a few strips at a time. I would measure up or down from the original seam, draw a line and snip the tube open to create my pattern.

IMG_0241

In the amount of time it took my Mom to quilt her Cafe Bistro quilt, I ended up with this - a bargello that I designed one strip at a time on the fly:

IMG_0261

I need to decide now how to quilt it. I don’t believe I’m going to add a border but I think a thin black binding will set it off nicely.

12 comments:

QuiltingB29 said...

That turned out cool!

Moneik said...

That turned out so incredibly awesome! I think you did an awesome job with it.

Regina said...

Lovely! Bargello was on my wish list along with the stack-n-whack... so this may be next.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Jen that is spectacular!! Very beautiful!

Heather

Suzan said...

I saw one of the woman on Fons and Porter do something similar with that shaded fabric from Blank. Love the floral fabric that you used. Looks terrific!

Trish said...

No fair.... everyone used up my words already...Cool! Awesome! Lovely!

What a great idea.

Pat said...

very nice Bargello! Bargello is on my Quilting Bucket List! and this might just be the trick! thanks for sharing :)

Jennifer said...

Wow - it looks great. Good luck figuring out the quilting!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

How did you do that and not even get off the couch yesterday? I'm confused! It's awesome!

Christine said...

Wow! That's awesome!

piecesofpatti said...

That is so awesome! You are my inspiration! I am not afraid to do much of anything anymore!

Regina said...

WOW!!!!!! I have been a lurker, reading your blog for over a year and this has brought me out of lurkdom!!

Your Floral Bargello (we'll toss out that mock part) is fantastic. Job well done. Ok, back to peeping.

Your neighbor in Racine,
Regina