Thursday, July 9, 2009

I guess I'm just not a fan

Of driving to downtown Milwaukee from Waukesha during rush hour.

A few years ago my friend Shell switched salons - from an easy to get
to location to a 3rd Ward location. I wasn't thrilled but I went.

Over the years the only good time to go there seems to be in the dead
of winter. Any other time, parking is a problem. If it's not
parking, its the drive downtown during regular rush hour traffic or
Brewer Game traffic. Then there's festivals, plays, and last night
the Bastille Day run, making all the meter parking a no parking zone.

I'm not going to get into $ amounts for cut and color but dang it, if
I'm paying what I pay (which in my head is completely ridiculous to
begin with) I shouldn't then have to pay an additional $5 to $15 to
park.

I left work at 4:30. It took an hour for me to make the 13 mile trip.
By the time I got there (with 15 minutes to spare even) and saw that
all street parking had been turned into no parking zones, I was pretty
pissed. The usual $5 lots were closed. I had my choice of $10 or
$15. I wanted to be done by this point. I called, cancelled my
appointment and headed home away from the downtown maddness.

I still need a hair cut. Sigh.

I called my friend Jen to ask her how doing that same drive day in and
out didn't make her want to slit her wrists (that crazy phrase was in
my head because of Katy) and she suggested we go see a movie - The
Proposal. Wow, that was the funniest movie that I've seen in a long
time. I'm glad I went.

--
-Jen
The Insane Ramblings of a Cre8tive Quilter.
http://www.cre8tivequilter.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Moneik said...

I feel for you! I wouldn't like to endure that much traffic either. I have construction to go through to get home every night. Last night it was 20 mph uphill.

Julie-Ann said...

I drove through the Marquette Interchange construction for years. It was a pain. However, I always go straight through Chicago - never 294 - so I guess I am use to traffic.

I just changed hair stylists and am thrilled. I find it is good to switch every few years. Craig is not only good, but inexpensive. A cut and highlight was half of what I had been paying in Bay View. I received several compliments after my first visit to him. It is worth the long drive to see him (he is on 172nd and Capitol Drive).

I love the 3rd Ward, but it usually is a pain to find parking.

Trish said...

I had the same problem a few years ago. I broke down and switched stylists, even though my original stylist is a friend (and yes, we're still friends). I couldn't handle the parking, the time involved, or the cost. If it doesn't work out, you can always go back.

Piwacket said...

I know just where you're coming from, Jen. You're right about the time, travel and parking.

I'm glad you had a good time at the movie. I haven't seen it yet, but a couple of my friends agree with your review.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

We (Val, Patti and I) saw it tonight! It was a riot! Great movie to see with the girls, too! Then....french silk pie! Oh yeah, it doesn't get any better than that! You made me glad I live in such a small town. No parking problems, and she's reasonable with her prices...and I love my hair everytime she cuts it. Good luck with it!

piecesofpatti said...

I love living in a small town. No parking problems and I like my stylist. Yes, the movie was great, popcorn and chocolate........yum!!!!!!

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Wow I would have been livid as well.. everything here has pretty much made me feel that the sooner I get out of the navy the better.. Not sure how I made it this long.. That movie was awesome... Keith and I went and saw the sneak preview a while back with my parents they liked it too.