Tuesday, July 7, 2009

It’s Done! Finished! Hung!

I finished the binding and hanging sleeves on the back of my diamond log cabin on Monday. 

IMG_0178  IMG_0180 

I decided to hang it in the living room for now.  I’m not sure if it will stay hung there but for now it’s home.

I had a horrible allergic reaction while at work.  The only thing I had to eat was watermelon.  It doesn’t make much sense to all of a sudden be allergic to watermelon but after some Googling I discovered that it’s one of the possible cross reactions for grass.

Allergy-May be Associated with:

Birch-Apple, carrot, cherry, pear, peach, plum, fennel, walnut, potato, spinach, wheat, buckwheat, peanut, honey, celery, kiwi fruit, hazelnut, anise, fennel, coriander, cumin

Mugwort Sage-Celery, carrot, spices, melon, watermelon, apple, chamomile, hazelnut, anise, fennel, coriander, cumin.

Grass-Potato, melon, tomato, watermelon, orange, cherry, peanut

Ragweed-Melon, chamomile, honey, banana, sunflower seeds

Latex-Avocado, potato, banana, tomato, chestnut, kiwi fruit, herbs, carrot

Peanuts-Legumes, grass, wheat, corn

Plantains-Melon

 

I had my epi pen out and everything.  I left work and while I waited for Mike to come for me I decided I couldn’t wait any longer that I was driving myself to the walk in clinic.  I made it as far as the burger king parking lot because Mike justifiably called me and demanded I pull over and wait for him.  I figured the walk in clinic would be a safe place to be if I had to hit the epi pen.  Oh how wrong I was.  Never, don’t ever, go to a walk in clinic for an allergy problem.  The MD that saw me didn’t even pull up my file, just took my vitals and decided I was just hyperventilating and sent me on my way after observation.  I think by observation he meant sit in this room and we’ll check on you every 30 minutes.  Oh wait…he checked to see if I had a rash.  SERIOUSLY??  Even had I had a rash, I had bigger problems like NOT BEING ABLE TO BREATHE!!  I think I interrupted his lunch or something.  By this point the throwing up had stopped so I took three Benadryl and slept it off.    I’ve had allergies all my life.  I sure as heck know if I’m having an allergy reaction or not.  This most definitely without a doubt was a severe reaction and I was just too scared to use my epi pen.  Seriously, would I have received better care at an ER?  Last time I went to an ER I ended up with a blood clot from an IV so I’m terrified of ERs.  Talk about feeling like one should be in a plastic bubble. 

7 comments:

Moneik said...

Your wall hanging is beautiful and I'm so happy it's done! Glad you are feeling a bit better today.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Could it be a quilting bubble? Can I live in it with you? Pweeeese? Pwetty pweeeeeeze?
Love the wall hanging! Looks very very nice!

Cindy said...

Oh the wall hanging looks wonderful and I like where it's hanging. OK the guy was a quack. Anyone who has asthma and allergies could recognize it was a sever allergic reaction. I personally wanted to take you out of there and go somewhere competent. Nobody messes with my kid.

piecesofpatti said...

I love the wall hanging. Looks great in your living room. Don't mess with allergic reactions. If you are having trouble breathing, definitely go to the ER. Sounds like you should have used the epi pen.

Michele said...

I know it's no consolation, Jen, but this is a problem with *any* chronic disease - YOU know more about it than the average MD on the street. I don't have the answers - maybe a long talk with an allergist to brainstorm how to better communicate the severity of your allergies?

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Wow I have no idea what to say about that.. other than I don't feel your allergy pain but do feel your inadequate health care pain.. I have started yet another round of medical appts

Piwacket said...

The wall hanging is really beautiful. I hope you're feeling better.