Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mike’s Irish Chain Golf Quilt

My mom came over this afternoon and we sewed together. I worked on my “B” blocks for Mike’s Irish Chain Quilt. They went together really, really quickly.

IMG_0196

Before I knew it, I was sewing the blocks into rows and attaching the rows to each other.

IMG_0199 IMG_0201

My Original plan did not include putting borders on this quilt. But, now that it’s together, it seems a little drab. I think I’m going to need to add a narrow inner and a larger outer border. I’ll take the quilt with me to the shop to check out my options on Wednesday. Who knows, by next weekend I could be throwing it on the frame!

Here are the choices I have to add to this quilt:

I’m thinking maybe an inner border of the red, an outer border of the argyle and then a binding of the red. Possibly using the golf club fabric for the backing. Thoughts?

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow - looks great. If it were me, I'd use green and then the argyle b/c there is more green in the golf fabric to pick up. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Moneik said...

I think I'd use the red then the golf clubs and then bind in red would be really striking. It looks great and I'm sure he'll love it.

piecesofpatti said...

Looks great! I'm with Moneik on the border and binding choices.

zarina said...

I love how its turning it out. I may want to revisit the irish chain quilt (even though there is one unfinished - well just a little bit of hand quilting to be done - I'm using on my bed).

I would like to recommend to use green instead. You know - you play golf on the green.

Regina said...

I have always liked the Irish Chain - but I don't think I have ever seen it with a print quite like this - I like the effect. Not sure on the borders/binding - I am not quite awake yet.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Looks great! I love that golf fabric! Whatever you decide will be perfect, so just go for it!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Looking great! Those "B" blocks go together so quickly don't they? The argyle fabric is very cute but you will have to be careful when cutting it if you decide you want all the long points of the diamonds going the same way (will have to cut it lengthwise) so it will need extra fabric. Also, if the quilt isn't perfectly square and you use the argyle as a wide outer border - it will show. I like it though... Maybe you could make a pillowcase with the argyle as a cuff if you decide not to use it in the quilt. Whatever you do decide - it certainly is a great use of a novelty print!

Christine said...

Cool! My own DH would love it. I think what you considering for the borders would be perfect.

Julie-Ann said...

I think I would use both the green and the red. One for the inner border and one for the binding. It will add more color to it.

It is so cool! My Phil would love it!

Infinity Quilter said...

The golf clubs would make a great backing! I like your other choices, except I would use blue for the binding....but that's just me. Blue is my favorite color.

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Wow that looks really great! I'm sure that mike will adore it. Keith has already asked how many new quilts he's going to come home to

Cindy said...

I think green for one of the borders because you play golf on green grass. Definetly red for the binding and the other golf club fabric for the backing. You rocked yesterday and without saying anything you kept inspiring me to keep on sewing my own quilt.