Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sewing Room Valance

For the past year I’ve been trying to decide what to make for a valance in Quilt Studio West.  I originally was making paper pieced blocks BUT the last time I pulled them out to work on them I decided I didn’t like them.  Don’t get me wrong; I LOVE the blocks.  I love them individually.  Together in a row; not so much.  I wish I would have used ONE purple background instead of three different ones.  I think that’s my hang up.  I’ll find some way to use them in the future.  I have quite a bit of fabric and I enjoy doing paper piecing.  Maybe they just need to be set with black fabric?  Maybe they are destined to become a wall hanging or a quilt?  Who knows, their fate doesn’t have to be decided today.

Last week while Jen V was at my house, she was making a new apron for work.  While she was working on it I thought, hmmmm maybe that would look cool as a valance.

IMG_0188 

Since I want to hang my black, pink and white quilt in my quilt studio I took that as my inspiration colors for my valance. 

IMG_0218

Hmm, it appears that the apron had less of an angle than I used for my valance but I guess that makes it my own design!

IMG_0217

I tossed it on a wooden dowel just so I could get an idea of how it would look hung up.   Tomorrow I hope to pick up a curtain rod and get it hung.  I can’t wait to see what it looks like hung up and scrunched a normal amount.  I didn’t make it to be as full as pictured above. 

8 comments:

Laura Krasinski said...

This is sooo cool... It would look great in my daughters room...

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Hay Jen, I like your paper pieced blocks, very much! You just work all the time in your sewing room don't you? Thanks so much for your visit and becoming a follower. Enjoy you sharing your life with is! Fern

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Thanks for coming to visit my blog and becoming a follower and your comment. I love your paper pieced blocks. I think they are real pretty!!

Cindy said...

I can't wait to see how it looks actually hanging on the window. It's really pretty.

piecesofpatti said...

Very pretty! I really like the black and pink. Great design!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Niiiiice! Very Nice! Love it all, as always.... Day 42...giggle!

Shogun said...

I love them all.

How are you getting the angle and altering the amount of the angle? I would make those in the way that binding is made and the strips attached at an angle (hope I am explaining that well), but is there another way?

I love your blog - sorry that I haven't been able to check it this week!

quiltin cntrygrl said...

Wow I think they look great.. yet one more thing on my list that you have given me ideas as to how to make it and where to look for ideas

Heather