Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Oil Cloth – Things I’ve learned

Your sewing machine needle gets ridiculously hot when sewing through oil cloth.  So hot that when I removed the needle I dropped it from my hands.  It was curling iron hot!  When needles get hot, they bend…and it screws up everything else.  Like timing.  My machine is headed into the ER for Brad to fix.  Undoubtedly I will see him shake his head at me and then go work his magic.

So what was I doing?  I was trying to make my mom a lunch bag for her birthday that’s coming up next week.  Needless to say, I won’t be making another one in this manner.  First off, I have two layers of oil cloth and an inside layer of insulbrite.  After all…I needed to make the food retain it’s chill didn’t I?  Uh, no dumb ass…just a bag to throw in the fridge at work probably would have been fine…and that’s what I’ll do when I make my own.  If I was going to keep things cold, I needed to zip it closed.  I also figured it would be easier to put tabs on the ends of the zipper and sew that instead of sewing through the zipper.  Yeah, I did nothing but make that area thicker.    Needless to say, at this point I also won’t be boxing the corners because it was much too difficult to run the bag much less turn it wrong side out to do the boxing.  This is how it’s staying.

After the fact, I found this awesome website all about oil cloth.  You should check it out.  Lots of neat ideas and tips.

Oilcloth Addict

3 comments:

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I will have to do some reading I know nothing about oil cloth but your lunch bag looks great!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

But after all that....just look how cute it is! I love it! Hope the machine is discharged from the ER soon!

piecesofpatti said...

Sorry you had so much trouble......... but, the bag turned out very cute!