Saturday, September 19, 2009

It's a sad day

I got a text from Jen this morning that she had to put her Golden Retriever Sidney to sleep. He'd been slowing down quite a bit recently and in the last few days he had difficulty walking and getting up so it was time - he was in pain.

I think making that choice has got to be one of the most traumatic choices that a person has to make in their lives. My heart is sad for her. Hopefully Sidney has made friends with Murphy and they're now running and playing together.

Jen invited me over to sew and I took her to dinner. When we got back, I worked on a notebook wrap for her. Sometime last year we got this red and white batik in at the shop and we both fell in love with it. Somehow, I got talked into buying 4 yards which was wayyyy out of the box for me. I never just buy yardage without already having a purpose for it. A few days later, a customer wiped out the rest of the bolt. Jen was sad that she didn't get to buy some of it, so I offered to split my yardage with her since I didn't know what I was going to do with it anyway but she said it was ok. I decided I needed to make her something out of it but I didn't get around to it until now.

I quilted the fabric right before I went over there and took the pieces along to assemble. I almost think it should have had a solid red or solid white binding. I tossed around the idea of adding a black binding but it didn't seem to be quite right so I just used the same fabric. And, after digging in my drawer of velcro and zippers I came across a piece of red velcro. Although it's not a perfect match, it sticks out less than the white would have.

IMG_1349

IMG_1350

I also was able to get another 10 blocks made for Athena's puzzle. That leaves 48 more to make. Hopefully I can hit them hard in the next few days so that I can start assembling the quilt top.

IMG_1351

I'm starting to think that I need to re-evaluate my goal for the 100 blocks in 100 days challenge because I'm already at 50 blocks and it's the first week of the challenge. Anyone want to take a stab at a number of blocks to challenge me to?


100 Blocks in 100 days challenge. Currently 50/100

5 comments:

Karen said...

I can see why Jen wanted that fabric. It is beautiful. Let's see, if you can do 50 blocks in 7 days, and there are 30 days in a month, that would mean you can make 210 blocks, right? You go girl!

piecesofpatti said...

Your a great friend Jen! Looks awesome! If I challenge you, does that mean I have to make the same amount........lol!

Shogun said...

Hi. I haven't been able to post much lately but decided to stop by. That red and white batik fabric is beautiful, I know I would have loved it. The animal issue is a hard one - makes me start to cry thinking back to some of my pets and decisions that had to be made. Sure wish pets could stay around longer.

Julie-Ann said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's dog. I know the time will come for my Gracie and Lucy Lou. I hope I have the strength to let them go and not suffer too long.

I love, love, love the red fabric!

Piwacket said...

I am so sorry to hear about Jen's dog. I have had to say that tough good-bye to my four-legged friends and it is never, ever easy...even when you have to make the decision and know it's the right thing to do. I'm glad you were there for her.