Sunday, October 18, 2009

Barns, Barns & More Barns

On Saturday night Holly and I went to my Mom's house. We were both working on our English Paper Piecing. I was able to whip out about 75 Hexagons. Now I need to figure out how I'm going to lay these babies out to make a table runner.

IMG_2222

They're just so pretty!!

Mom and I were talking about heading over to Green County to check out their quilts on barns tour. However, when I pulled the map up on Sunday morning I realized there were over 40 barns to plug into my GPS and it seemed like it would be easier to wait for the visitor map to come in the mail. I couldn't find the website at first so I put it into a Google search and then Walworth County Quilt Barns came up in the search. 23 barns to be exact!

It was already noon on Sunday when I found out about these quilts in Walworth County. It took me about an hour to punch all of the addresses into the GPS and find more precise addresses online for a few of the ones that the GPS couldn't find. I'm learning that there's about 5 different ways to type in some of the rural addresses which can be kind of frustrating. Some places just give the GPS coordinates but some of the coordinates that I've found start with a negative number and I haven't quite figured out how to add the negative number in the Garmin Nuvi. It's probably something blatantly obvious that I'm missing. Anyway, it was probably 2pm before we left the house and it was a 40 minute trip to the first barn so sunlight wasn't really on our side!! About 1/3 of the barns from the last leg of our trip, I will need to go and visit again to take new pictures. We had a fantastic time and drove about 200 miles.

Earlier in the week I had the ladies at the shop hold up the Athena's Puzzle quilt so I could take a picture...only it was too large for us to hold up in one specific place. So here it is, half down and half draped across the cutting table in all its 104"X118" glory!

IMG_2033

Last but not least, here are the flowers Mike brought me on Sweetest Day. Aren't they pretty?

IMG_2218





5 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Very cool! I spent the weekend sewing hex's and making flowers with 'em at our cabin. Love your Athena's puzzle top. It's huge! Turned out great, too!

About Sweetest Day...Isn't great to have found Mr. Right and get flowers? We're lucky, ya know. Some people may never find their Mr. Right....

Robin (rsislandcrafts) said...

Love the hexies. I worked on a bunch this weekend too :)

The quilt is stunning and HUGE! Great job!

Karen said...

Reread the first two sentences of your blog entry. I started laughing because if I didn't know Holly was a dog, it sounds as though you and her were English paper piecing at your Mom's! lol :)

Erin said...

I Love your hexagons! I havent tried these yet but really want to give them a go soon!

Moneik said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. The Athena's puzzle turned out great. I love the flowers. Isn't it wonderful to have such amazing husbands?